This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Fairfield chapter.

Ombré Cutoffs:

What you need:

–       Pair of men’s jeans

–       Scissors

–       Bucket

–       Bleach

–       Ruler or yard stick

–       Vinegar

–       Dye (optional)

What to do:

1)   Go to a Goodwill or Salvation Army and get a pair of men’s jeans that fit you in the waist.

2)   Cut the jeans into shorts, a half inch longer than you want them to be.

3)   Make a 2 part bleach/1 part water solution in a bucket (so it is about half way full)

4)   Put the ruler or meter stick through a few of the belt loops so the bottom half of the shorts are immersed in the bleach. The parts fully in the bleach will be the lightest and then the bleach will creep up the shorts a little more, creating the fade back into the denim color.

5)   Wait an hour then soak them in a vinegar/water solution for a few minutes to stop the bleach from spreading.

6)   Put the shorts through a cold-water wash cycle and you’re done!

Try it with color!

–       Bleach the entire pair of shorts.

–       Put a fabric dye solution (RIT dye is a popular choice) in another bucket, following the instructions for the specific dye, and hang the shorts with the ruler through the belt loops, with only part of them immersed.

–       The color will creep up just like the bleach so when you like the color you see, rinse and wash them to finish.

Knotted Cropped Tank:

What you need:

–       Tank top

–       Scissors

What to do:

1)   Cut an even number of strips half way up the tank so it looks fringed.

2)   Tie each pair of strips in a knot.

3)   Take one strip from each pair you just tied, and tie it together with one from the pair next to it. It will begin to look like a web of knots.

4)   Keep tying knots until the shirt is the length you want and trim the ends of the fringes.

Twist t-shirt dress:

What you need:

–       Large t-shirt

–       Scissors

What to do:

1)   Try on the t-shirt and mark with chalk around your waistline.

2)   Measure on each side of the shirt two inches up and two inches down from the waistline.

3)   Cut from each of these four points diagonally, making two symmetrical triangles pointing to the center of the shirt. Make sure not to cut so far that the shirt ends up in two pieces!

4)   Stick your hand into one of the openings and pull through the opposite bottom corner of the shirt. Repeat this step twice on the same side so your shirt is twisted but not inside out.

Amanda McKelvey is a Co-Campus Correspondent and a senior at Fairfield University. She is a Journalism major with minors in Psychology and Communications. In addition to being a CC she has held internships with Michael Kors, CollegeFashionista.com and the Rockville Centre and Baldwin Heralds. In her free time, Amanda enjoys days on the beaches of Long Island, watching Scandal, Chicago Fire and the Bachelorette, eating anything sweet (chocolate, ice cream, cupcakes—you name it!) and reading a good book. She’s excited to spend her senior year living at Fairfield Beach with her best friends including fellow CC Danielle Tullo! You can follow her on Twitter @theAMANDAshowww or on Instagram @ammckelvey.