Disney’s Cinderella Trailer Sparks Photoshop Controversey

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Fairfield chapter.

I know I’m not speaking only for myself when I say it’s been my dream to look like a Disney princess since I was a little girl. Whether it was their luscious locks, bright eyes, or sparkling ball gowns, it’s almost every girl’s dream at some point to be just like Ariel, Jasmine, Belle, and their friends.

Recently, it has been announced that Disney is releasing a live-action interpretation of their classic fairytale Cinderella. British actress Lily James has the privilege of portraying princess Cinderella in this version of the story. However, when a new trailer for the film was released last week, controversy brewed over whether or not James’s waistline had been digitally altered.

In the stills taken from the most recent trailer, it’s easy to see where all this talk came from: in Cinderella’s traditional blue ball gown, James’s waist looks extremely tiny. While Disney denied claims that the actress had been photo-shopped by stating she looked that way because she was wearing a corset, many people found this hard to believe.

Because the primary audience of this movie is going to be young girls who want to see their favorite princess movie come to life, it is important that Disney promotes a healthy and accurate body image. The little girls who go see this movie are going to want to look just like Cinderella because she’s a princess, and it should be Disney’s priority to make sure they reflect this reality in their live-action movies.

You can view the enchanted trailer for Cinderella here and decide for yourself. Is it truly the work of a corset or did Cinderella borrow a little magic from her fairy godmother?

Follow Shana on Twitter!

Shana is currently a senior at Fairfield University where she majors in English with a Journalism concentration and minors in Marketing and Women, Gender, and Sexuality Studies.       
Amanda McKelvey is a Co-Campus Correspondent and a senior at Fairfield University. She is a Journalism major with minors in Psychology and Communications. In addition to being a CC she has held internships with Michael Kors, CollegeFashionista.com and the Rockville Centre and Baldwin Heralds. In her free time, Amanda enjoys days on the beaches of Long Island, watching Scandal, Chicago Fire and the Bachelorette, eating anything sweet (chocolate, ice cream, cupcakes—you name it!) and reading a good book. She’s excited to spend her senior year living at Fairfield Beach with her best friends including fellow CC Danielle Tullo! You can follow her on Twitter @theAMANDAshowww or on Instagram @ammckelvey.