Diary of an Organized Kid

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Fairfield chapter.

For those of you reading, I hope I didn’t mislead you with the title. This is not in fact a sequel of “Diary of a Wimpy Kid”, so if that’s why you’re reading, well then, I’m sorry to disappoint. As for the rest of you, I’m assuming you are either a “neat freak,” as the haters call it, or an innocent bystander of this uncontrollable disease we call organization. I would like to start off by saying that organization is not a choice, but rather something you are born into. Nay, it is not a hobby or a pastime, but a lifestyle. It is only through retrospect that I can see just how my organizational tendencies shaped me to be the person that I am today…

June 24th, 2002 Age 7It’s my 7th birthday today. I got a Barbie cruise ship and a Barbie jeep. The boxes were so big and there was so much wrapping paper. I missed cake because I was cleaning it all up. 

October 27th, 2003 Age 8Third grade is so cool. My teacher set up arts and crafts for Halloween. Everyone is painting their pumpkin pretty colors and putting glitter all over it. I washed the dirt off of mine. 

September 13th, 2004 Age 9My fourth grade teacher is nice. Today I sneezed and he ran over with a tissue for me. I think we’re going to be best friends. 

December 25th, 2005 Age 10Most kids my age don’t believe in Santa anymore but I know he’s real. Before my parents got up this morning I looked in my stocking and saw hand sanitizer and travel wipes. He knew exactly what I wanted. 

April 21st, 2006 Age 11“April showers bring May flowers”. I made fake throw up out of Goldfish and Gatorade so that I wouldn’t have to go to soccer today. I have white cleats. It’s raining. We don’t play on turf. Get the picture?

Let’s flash forward to the later years…

November 1st, 2011 Age 16Ugh I hate when I’m the first person to wake up at sleepovers, especially when it’s not at my house. So, so bored. I wonder if Kathleen’s closet is color coded like mine…

April 4th, 2012 Age 17Nothing like spending quality time with a best friend…unless they’re staying with you for a WEEK. How does Erika not realize that I’m folding her clothes every night and putting her bags in the designated bag corner of my room?!

July 22nd, 2013 Age 18

As if sharing my room with a stranger in the fall isn’t enough, my SISTER moved into my room with me. Her clothes spend more time on the floor than in the drawers. She’s out to get me.

September 1st, 2013 Age 18First day of college and it’s already hell. My roommate changed outfits and left her dirty clothes on her desk. I can’t live like this. 

And as you can see, my organizing has kept up with me until the present day. 

October 17th, 2014 Age 19No class Wednesdays=no mess Wednesdays. Got a little carried away with the cleaning today. Went on from making my bed to making my roommates bed…and both of my suitemate’s beds. Old habits die hard.

“Never apologize for being yourself”, especially if “yourself” is very, very clean.

Follow this neat freak on Twitter @clairlyacomedian

Amanda McKelvey is a Co-Campus Correspondent and a senior at Fairfield University. She is a Journalism major with minors in Psychology and Communications. In addition to being a CC she has held internships with Michael Kors, CollegeFashionista.com and the Rockville Centre and Baldwin Heralds. In her free time, Amanda enjoys days on the beaches of Long Island, watching Scandal, Chicago Fire and the Bachelorette, eating anything sweet (chocolate, ice cream, cupcakes—you name it!) and reading a good book. She’s excited to spend her senior year living at Fairfield Beach with her best friends including fellow CC Danielle Tullo! You can follow her on Twitter @theAMANDAshowww or on Instagram @ammckelvey.