Club In the Spotlight: Jesuit University Humanitarian Action Network

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Fairfield chapter.

Name: Nicole DavidowYear: 2015Major: International Studies and Philosophy with a minor in Catholic Studies

Nicole Davidow is the JUHAN fellow at Fairfield University and she leads a group of eager and influential students in changing the way we think about and interact with the world. Read on to learn about JUHAN’s upcoming events and to find out how you can become an active member.

Her Campus: What does JUHAN stand for and what do you do as a group?Nicole Davidow: JUHAN stands for the Jesuit University Humanitarian Action Network. Essentially, it is a network of Jesuit Universities that was formed in an effort to create a web of connections that can be activated to respond to various conflicts, instances of injustice, and emergencies as needed. As a student group we work to respond to the needs of the local and international community in regards to service projects, professional development (through exposure to the United Nations and Capitol Hill for example), advocacy campaigns, and fundraisers. Our events throughout the year vary depending on the interests of the students, but we have recently been consistent in offering projects to raise money for clean water awareness and water filters, sponsored panel discussions to better understand contemporary conflicts, and participated in building houses in the local area through Habitat for Humanity.

HC: Can you provide some details about the upcoming JUHAN event on November 22nd?ND: The Run for Kids is an event JUHAN is sponsoring to raise money for Save the Children. It is a 5K Team Relay Race that is going to take place on Saturday, November 22 at 10AM at the track around Lessing Field. Teams anywhere from 1-15 members are encouraged to sign up to participate. The race will also include a costume contest, so teams are invited to come dressed in their favorite Turkey Trot attire. Teams can go online to sign up or donate at www.savethechildren.com/runforkids/fairfielduniversity. Each team is encouraged to try to raise $30 to participate and donations can be made online. All money raised will go towards Save the Children’s efforts to help kids both domestically and around the world.

HC: What is the Save the Children organization and why is it an important charity to highlight on campus?ND: Save the Children is an organization dedicated to creating a better future for children. Save the Children works in over 120 countries throughout the world providing education, emergency response, health and nutrition programs, prevention programs for HIV and AIDs, combatting hunger, and protecting children. Save the Children believes that “Every child deserves a healthy start, the opportunity to learn, and care when disaster strikes.”

HC: What are some other events that JUHAN has put on in the past?ND: JUHAN has been active the past few years in terms of working to respond to major disasters. When Hurricane Sandy hit the east coast, JUHAN students spent several Saturdays over the course of the year working on disaster clean-ups and repair in Rockaway, NY. Last year after Typhoon Haiyan struck the Philippines, JUHAN activated the network and raised several thousands of dollars for relief efforts. JUHAN has also worked with Save the Children in the past, bringing discussions to campus around the conflict in the Middle East, specifically Syria, and fundraising for Save the Children’s “No Lost Generation” campaign last spring. Other projects have focused on raising awareness of the inaccessibility of clean water throughout the world and sending Valentine’s Day cards to children in Brazil who have been threatened and victimized by abuse and exploitation.

HC: Are there any other future events that you would like people to know about?ND: JUHAN will be hosting a service trip to Atlanta, Georgia over spring break to work with the International Rescue Committee. The group will assist with the Education & Learning Department, Resettlement Shop, and other special projects going on. Applications are available through the JUHAN page on OrgSync. JUHAN also invites students passionate about justice and community outreach to join the Catholic Relief Student Ambassadors Program. It is an opportunity for students from any background to work closely with an international humanitarian agency and gain exposure to many resources and feedback from what universities are doing on campuses nationwide to promote justice and create a global sense of solidarity. Stay tuned for more JUHAN events for the spring semester. JUHAN meets two Wednesdays a month at 7PM in CNS. Our last meeting of the semester will be December 3rd, all are invited to attend for a special end of the year celebration and brainstorm ideas for next semester!

HC: As the JUHAN fellow, why do you think it’s important for students to become involved in service?ND: Speaking from my own personal experience, service is important to get involved in because it encourages you to step out of your comfort zone. By taking that initial leap, your opportunities for growth, development, and learning increase exponentially. You meet new people, are exposed to new environments, and do things you have never done before. Service not only teaches you about others, but it teaches you about yourself. By interacting with others, you figure out what you’re passionate about and what motivates you to take action. I think students can benefit tremendously from getting involved in service opportunities because it facilitates growth and understanding through personal experience.

Please contact Nicole at nicole.davidow@student.fairfield.edu with questions or if you’re looking for more information!

Danielle was previously the Deputy Editor at Her Campus, where she oversaw social and content strategy, lifestyle, beauty, fashion, news, and entertainment. Prior to joining Her Campus, Danielle worked at House Beautiful as Senior Lifestyle Editor, directing and producing feature videos and stories. Danielle also served as Snapchat Editor at Cosmopolitan, overseeing the brands daily Snapchat Discover channel. In 2016, she launched Cosmo Bites — which is now the official food and beverage vertical at Cosmopolitan. That same year, Danielle was named as a Rising Star in the digital media industry by FOLIO Magazine. Danielle got her start in digital media by launching the Her Campus chapter at Fairfield University in 2014, where she acted as Campus Correspondent for 2.5 years, before graduating with a degree in English and creative writing. She enjoys wine, food, and long walks through HomeGoods. Follow Danielle on Instagram!