Ciao Bella: Olivia’s Adjustments to Life In Florence

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Fairfield chapter.

Hello collegiettes! Welcome to my adventures abroad! I’ve only been in Florence for a little while so it’s taken me some time to adjust! Here are some differences I have found myself adapting to in this wonderful city:

THE FOOD:

The food is way fresher and delicious in Florence and surprisingly most of the time you don’t feel so bad eating it! While eating in Italy you don’t get this overwhelmingly heavy, sinking filling like you do after shoving some Shake Shack down your throat (unless you eat a whole pizza here…which can be easily just as tempting).

It’s not a myth, Italians really do LOVE their carbs.  Here is what a normal day in Florence, Italy looks like: “What do I want for lunch today? Well, I have three options: 1) pizza 2) pasta 3) Panini. (All phenomenal options might I add) Unless you wanna get a little wild and take the path of…

GELATO:

It’s everywhere and every place looks SO mouthwatering.  Although all seem beautiful and sparkling form the outside, there are definitely some front-runners in the Florence area.  If you study abroad in or visit Florence check out Edorardo’s—my personal fave.

WHEN IT’S 2 AM AND I’M STARVINGGGGGGG:

So it’s past two and the Levee is closed? Darn. The thought of Dominos could just make you vom? Definitely. We’ve all been there after a long night out at Fairfield… #disappointment.  In Florence, you never really have this problem! Their food culture can be so focused on pizza at times (thank God) and other cheesy carbalicious goodnesses that you’ll be able to find a decent snack at most hours of the night.  Even some sweet treats as well…

Opt for the sweeter side

Yes collegiettes, there’s really such thing as a Secret Bakery.  It’s a little known treasure within the Florence community.  With different locations throughout the city, there’s almost definitely one that you’ll live nearby while studying here.  The bakery is open from around 1 am to about 3am specifically for feeding those who are just coming home from the city’snightlife.  If you ask a local to help you find it they will just tell you to “use your nose” and sniff it out. My opinion: A NUTELLA CROISSANT IS ALWAYS THE ANSWER.

THE THIRST:

Unfortunately, you have to pay for water at most restaurants you go to which is a huge downer for Americans who are used to having it for free with any meal.

Luckily, you can walk around town with a bottle of wine in your hand so I guess Europe earns some points back.

THAT’S SOOOO EURO:

Another interesting aspect of the Florence/Italian community that I’ve taken note on is just the people in general.  They’re all so unique in how they present themselves and they’re all so #trendy you could cry.  You learn quickly that there’s no specific way to blend in and dress “Italian” or “European” because they all dress so differently, tailored to their own personal likes!  It’s pretty awesome. 

Sidenote: the babies are beautiful.  Every. Single. One.

And what’s even more beautiful are when they try to speak.  It’s cute enough when you hear a little one blabbing away, now imagine the same thing but in Italian #cutenessoverload.

If you’re a girl, be prepared to get a lot of “Ciao bella’s” and some catcalls including but not limited to:

“You are my star”

“You’re breaking my heart”

“I think I’m falling in love”

and “I will wait for you”

It’s going to happen ladies. Just ignore them. They try way too hard.

TIME DIFFERENCE:

I’m still not used to this at all.  I’ll wake up and think of something to tell my friends or  or I’ll miss someone from home and think it’s a smart idea to text them a million times like I normally would text…then halfway through the message I remember it’s 4am in the states and my friends probably don’t want me to blow up their phone. Oopsie!

BUDGETBUDGETBUDGET:

With the Euro you always think you’re spending less than you actually are.  Don’t be fooled, collegiettes! This is not the case!

When attempting to save, try and cook in at least 3 times a week.  It’s hard when you first arrive but it is definitely the most cost-effective and (still) delicious route to take.  Just think, you can impress all of your roommates back at Fairfield with your amazing Italian cuisine.

It can be tough to get into the swing of things in a new country. Don’t forget that adjusting takes time and patience! Take a moment to breath and embrace the opportunities you will have over the next three and a half months. This is your time to be surrounded by history, culture and beauty. Ciao and good luck!

Amanda McKelvey is a Co-Campus Correspondent and a senior at Fairfield University. She is a Journalism major with minors in Psychology and Communications. In addition to being a CC she has held internships with Michael Kors, CollegeFashionista.com and the Rockville Centre and Baldwin Heralds. In her free time, Amanda enjoys days on the beaches of Long Island, watching Scandal, Chicago Fire and the Bachelorette, eating anything sweet (chocolate, ice cream, cupcakes—you name it!) and reading a good book. She’s excited to spend her senior year living at Fairfield Beach with her best friends including fellow CC Danielle Tullo! You can follow her on Twitter @theAMANDAshowww or on Instagram @ammckelvey.