Campus Profile, Athletic Edition: Colleen Young ‘20

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Fairfield chapter.

Hometown: St. Louis, Missouri

Major: Communications

Relationship status: Single

This week’s campus beauty is one of the coolest freshmen on campus. From competing in two Par-Olympic games and winning the bronze medal, to breaking the Fairfield Swimming and Diving team records, she is unbelievable. Meet Colleen Young!

HC: When did you begin swimming?

Colleen: Probably when I was around 4 or 5. Competitively since I was like 8.

HC: Why did you choose Fairfield University?

Colleen: I felt really welcomed by both the swim team and the school itself. Plus Fairfield’s campus is beautiful!

.HC: You have appeared in both the London and Rio Paralympics. Which one did you enjoy more? Were there any major differences?

Colleen: I definitely loved Rio a whole lot more than London. I was only 14 when I went to London so honestly I didn’t really know what was going on half of the time. Don’t get me wrong, London was great, but in Rio I was a lot more aware of my goals and what was happening.

HC: What are your goals for the future?

Colleen: I want to win a MAAC title for sure. This year I was close, but not close enough. Also, going to Tokyo in 2020 would be pretty neat.

HC: Before Fairfield, you set your high school record in the 100m breaststroke. Now you have set Fairfield University records in the 200m breaststroke, competed in the 2012 Paralympic Games in London, and 2016 Paralympic Games in Rio, winning a bronze medal. These are incredibly impressive. What motivates you?

Colleen: I just really love the sport of swimming and getting to practice with some of my best friends everyday is something special.

HC: What was it like winning a bronze medal in Rio for the Paralympic games?

Colleen: I’m not gonna lie, it was a pretty cool feeling. Knowing that all of the hard work you put in practice finally paid off is a definite feeling of satisfaction.

HC: Who has given you the best advice and what was it?

Colleen: Not specifically a person, but the best advice I’ve been given is probably just to have fun with what you do and to not take everything so seriously.

HC: What is one thing people would be surprised to know about you?

Colleen: I’ve actually always wanted to be a storm chaser. Like the people that go around and take pictures of tornadoes and storms and stuff like that.

HC: Who is your role model and why?

Colleen: My role model is definitely my mom because she’s the nicest person I know. She can also make a mean smoothie!

HC: Besides swimming, what do you like to do in your free time?

Colleen: Honestly I’ll do anything in my free time. One minute I’m binge watching Netflix and the next I’m hanging out in a friend’s room. 

Jackie has been an active member of Her Campus Fairfield over the past two years and is the new Co-Campus Correspondent for Fairfield's chapter. She is a junior communications major with a minor in marketing. She loves baking, sports, sushi, and her Jack Russell Terrier Tipper.
Gabriella is currently a junior at Fairfield University, where she is majoring in Marketing and minoring in Communications. She is Co-Campus Correspondent of Her Campus Fairfield with her roomie/best friend Pamela Grant! Gab can most likely be found with a Venti Starbs in hand, while wearing obnoxiously large sunnies (no shame), reading the most recent issue of Glamour Mag.