Boston Marathon Survivor Jeff Bauman Visits Fairfield University

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Fairfield chapter.

As the third anniversary of the tragic Boston bombing approaches, Fairfield University hosted survivor, Jeff Bauman. On Wednesday, March 23rd at 7 p.m., Bauman spoke to an audience comprised of students, faculty, and Fairfield residents about his moving experience being at the finish line on the day of the bombings on April of 2013.

Bauman was waiting for his then-girlfriend, Erin, when the bombs exploded. Lying on the street, he looked down and realized that his legs were gone.

“I thought, ‘I’m gonna die here’,” Bauman said.

Luckily, people were around him, including a man named Carlos, who took the initiative that would in turn save Bauman’s life. They tied tourniquets around his thighs, and got him into an ambulance.

“I think the doctors said that I had three more minutes.”

In the next days, Bauman helped police and FBI agents in identifying one of the suspects that he saw on the street.

Since that day in 2013, Bauman has made huge strides in his recovery. The following June, he received his prosthetic legs and has been attending physical therapy in order to walk more efficiently. His book, Stronger, was released in April of 2014, and the movie adaptation is expected to be released next year.

“I have an incredible support system,” Bauman said. “Especially Erin and my family.”

Erin and Jeff now have a 20-month-old daughter named Nora.

“When she was born, I was just overwhelmed with emotions. I was just happy, truly happy.”

Now, Bauman spends his days travelling and speaking, as he did at Fairfield. He feels especially thankful that people care so much about his story, and Boston in general.

When asked about his emotional journey and being supported by the Boston Strong movement, Bauman commented on the comradery of the city and how he wanted to help.

“I knew I had to get up and get walking. We had to show that they didn’t hurt us at all, they didn’t even make a dent.”

Gabriella is currently a junior at Fairfield University, where she is majoring in Marketing and minoring in Communications. She is Co-Campus Correspondent of Her Campus Fairfield with her roomie/best friend Pamela Grant! Gab can most likely be found with a Venti Starbs in hand, while wearing obnoxiously large sunnies (no shame), reading the most recent issue of Glamour Mag.