Bloomingdales Ad Suggests Spiking Female’s Drink

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Fairfield chapter.

The department store we all got our first little brown bag at, is now under fire for their new holiday ad. Bloomingdale’s is being criticized for their ad featuring a man and women with the quote “spike your best friend’s friends eggnog when they’re not looking.” Many have turned to social media to express their outrage and confusion behind this ad that seems to be promoting rape.

The Wall Street Journal stated that many commentators think it’s “creepy” and promoting domestic violence. Many argue this is a major flaw for the whole marketing team to miss. While some say it is giving Bloomingdale’s the publicity they need for the holidays.

Regardless, Bloomingdale’s has taken to Twitter to apologize, calling the ad “inappropriate and in poor taste.” This blunder doesn’t make it any easier for Macy’s, Bloomingdale’s parent store, already doing poorly in sales and struggling to thrive this holiday season.

Megan is a Fairfield University freshman majoring in international business.  She has a love for all things fashion. Born on Long Island, but a NYC wannabe. 
Gabriella is currently a junior at Fairfield University, where she is majoring in Marketing and minoring in Communications. She is Co-Campus Correspondent of Her Campus Fairfield with her roomie/best friend Pamela Grant! Gab can most likely be found with a Venti Starbs in hand, while wearing obnoxiously large sunnies (no shame), reading the most recent issue of Glamour Mag.