Wellness

The Advice I Wish I Had Before Going to College

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Fairfield chapter.

Moving into college can definitely be a roller coaster of emotions, but try to remember that everyone is in the same boat! Here are 5 things I wish I knew before going to college!

1.It is a big adjustment for EVERYONE.

If you feel homesick, or feel like you have no clue if you belong here, just take a second and breathe! College is a new environment and a huge adjustment for all of us, so never think that you are the only person missing your bed or your family because it has definitely crossed everyone else’s minds too. You’ll learn to love it!

2.Time Management!

You have way more time on your hands than you think! On average, we are in class 15 hours a week, which leaves 153 hours a week that you are not in class to do work, hang out with friends, and catch up on life. Trust me, go get an ice cream with your roommates, go to the quad and meet new people, and don’t miss out on big things because of stress – you have time. 

3.It is okay to not know what you want to do!

Everyone thinks you need to go into college knowing exactly what you want to do in life. You don’t! Take a few intro courses, figure out what you ENJOY doing, and then decide. You should not feel pressured to have a major and full future decided when you are 18 years old!

4.Your first friend group doesn’t have to be your last

If it is, that is ~awesome~ but it is so okay if it’s not! Don’t be discouraged if you’re not still friends with the people you went out with night one, it takes some time to find your group! 

5.Study to understand, rather than memorize!

It might be an instinct just to memorize as much information as possible before a test and then just spit it right back out and never think of it again. That might help you in the moment, but it is way better to understand the information for long term so you can apply the knowledge and keep it with you in the real world! 

Ultimately, whatever you are feeling, there is someone else out there thinking the same thing.  College is supposed to be the best 4 years of your life, relax and go enjoy it!

Katie Mazzotta

Fairfield '21

Katie Mazzotta, from Massachusetts, studies marketing and finance at Fairfield University. She is the campus correspondent for Fairfield's Her Campus chapter. Her creativity and marketing skills provide a beneficial influence on the chapter's event planning and social media accounts. In her free time, she loves the beach and spending time with friends and family.