9 Pieces of Fashion Advice for Our Younger Selves

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Fairfield chapter.

Everyone is guilty of having made a questionable fashion choice during their teens. You’re lying if you say you don’t cringe while looking through old photos of yourself because, face it, we all do. It happens. Here’s a list of some of the most common fashion faux pas teens make. Here’s to a fashionable future.

1. Leggings under a dress? Don’t even think about it!

2. Layering a cropped vest over a tee is never cute (and it probably never will be).

3. POLOS. Never again. Especially with AERO NYC all over it.  

4. I don’t care how comfortable they are, Crocs were never fashionable.  

5. I will sacrifice a cold neck instead of wearing a turtleneck. Side note: Multiple size and colored stripes are not flattering, even if you are Mandy Moore.

6. Are shrugs really considered clothing items? I thought shrugging was meant for shoulders. Let’s keep it that way.  

7. Logo tees. Why did I live in these when I was younger? Honestly, they should all be burned. Hollister and Abercrombie should be left in the early 2000s.

8. Gauchos. Oh boy, that was a mistake. Especially when worn with clogs.

9. Ponchos. Although ponchos are now making a comeback, the way I wore them when I was younger was definitely not fashionable. Is anything really scarier than a poncho worn with gauchos?

Aileen is a senior communication major and marketing minor who resides in Westchester, NY. She is a Executive Features Editor at Her Campus Fairfield and loves online shopping, snuggling with her dog, and working out. the Follow her on Instagram @aklindy!
Amanda McKelvey is a Co-Campus Correspondent and a senior at Fairfield University. She is a Journalism major with minors in Psychology and Communications. In addition to being a CC she has held internships with Michael Kors, CollegeFashionista.com and the Rockville Centre and Baldwin Heralds. In her free time, Amanda enjoys days on the beaches of Long Island, watching Scandal, Chicago Fire and the Bachelorette, eating anything sweet (chocolate, ice cream, cupcakes—you name it!) and reading a good book. She’s excited to spend her senior year living at Fairfield Beach with her best friends including fellow CC Danielle Tullo! You can follow her on Twitter @theAMANDAshowww or on Instagram @ammckelvey.