8 Ways To Change Your Lifestyle

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Fairfield chapter.

As collegiettes, it’s extremely easy to get stuck in a rut. Following the same schedule everyday gets boring, which prevents you from being the best you can be. Take this boredom as a sign that you need a change. These small, simple lifestyle changes are a great way to get started.

1. Drink More Water

We hear this all the time, which just proves how true it is. There’s a good chance you’re not drinking enough water, which leads to dehydration. Dehydration can cause headaches and fatigue, something us collegiettes are all too familiar with. So the next time you’re thirsty, instead of picking up a sugary soda, try going for some water instead!

2.  Try To Make A Regular Gym Schedule

We know, we know- no one likes going to the gym, but it’s just another one of life’s necessary evils. Not only is it a great way to combat the Freshman 15 (which doesn’t discriminate by age), it’s a great stress reliever as well. Considering the amount of pressure and stress placed on college students, there’s really no downside to going to the gym. If you make the effort to make and stick to a schedule, you’re more likely to go. For example, if your classes end early twice a week make a promise to yourself that those will be your definite workout times.

3. Attend On Campus Events

It’s easy to pass by the many flyers plastered around campus without giving them a second look, but next time you do, take a second to check them out. Our school offers dozens of events on a weekly basis and most students don’t even realize. The school is constantly offering interactive programs, plays, and also hosting speakers (most recently Tim Gunn) that offer passionate outlooks on the world. It’s never too late to expand your horizons.

4. Talk to Your Professors

Even though you may be tempted to run out of class the second your professor lets you go, staying after to clarify something explained in class or go over an assignment never hurts. If you do have to rush from one class to another, try heading to their office hours or shooting them an email. Professors genuinely appreciate when their students are invested in furthering their understanding of their subject. You may even feel like you were able to grasp the material better one-on-one, resulting in a better grade for you.

5. Make To Do Lists

Even if you’re not a huge fan of making lists, having a visual of everything you have to do can help you resist procrastination. If you don’t want to handwrite it, you can always make a note on your computer as well. Then, every time you open your computer, the list is front and center.

6. Get Off Campus

It’s easy to feel like you’re doing the same things everyday when all you’re doing is walking to Bannow, the dinning hall, and back to your room. If you feel like you’re guilty of this, try taking the bus off campus. Whether that is into town or the mall, you will feel less trapped after a trip off campus.

7. Try To Get Things Done In Advance

If you know you have a few papers and exams the same week, try to get ahead, if you have a free moment. Your future self will thank you.

8. Make Time For You

Of course, being overworked can take its toll on us. Always make time to just relax. 

Gabriella is currently a junior at Fairfield University, where she is majoring in Marketing and minoring in Communications. She is Co-Campus Correspondent of Her Campus Fairfield with her roomie/best friend Pamela Grant! Gab can most likely be found with a Venti Starbs in hand, while wearing obnoxiously large sunnies (no shame), reading the most recent issue of Glamour Mag.