8 Struggles Only Girls With Uncommon Names Understand

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Fairfield chapter.

We collegiettes with uncommon names have it tough. The Rachels, Emmas and Kaitlyns of the world almost have it too easy and do not understand our everyday struggles. Here are 8 everyday struggles that girls with uncommon names have to deal with: 

When a professor tries to pronounce your name aloud when taking attendance in class

You know when they say “uhh…”, you just have to respond with “here”. 

Never being able to find a keychain with your name on it souvenir shops as a kidAt this point, you do not even look anymore. 

Sometimes you don’t even bother correcting someone when they mispronounce your name

It is just not worth the effort. 

You overly pronounce the syllables in your name, simply because it is often mispronounced. 

“Hi, I’m Emily. What’s your name?”“Hi, I’m AY-leen. Nice to meet you!”

Having to repeat your name multiple times when meeting someone at a loud party 

When your phone autocorrects the spelling of your name

Meeting someone with the same name as you is almost ~too~ exciting and your response is something like this: 

Aileen is a senior communication major and marketing minor who resides in Westchester, NY. She is a Executive Features Editor at Her Campus Fairfield and loves online shopping, snuggling with her dog, and working out. the Follow her on Instagram @aklindy!
Pamela is currently in her senior year at Fairfield Univerity where she is majoring in management. In her free time she enjoys working out, spending time with friends and family and binge watching reality television. *guilty*.... Follow her on instagram! @pamelagrant