Career

7 Companies You Didn’t Know Were Female-Founded Startups

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Fairfield chapter.

2019 has been a great year for many women in business ladies! Here are 7 new and expanding startups you have probably heard of that are female-founded and are killing it right now!

1. Glossier founded by Emily Weiss created a makeup and skin care company that has grown like crazy lately and has developed a very dedicated following of beauty lovers.

2. 23andMe created by Linda Avey and Anne Wojcicki are two of the three founders of the extremely popular genetic testing company.

3. Rent the Runway co-founder and CEO Jennifer Hyman now runs Rent the Runway, the genius online service. It provides designer dress and accessory rentals, perfect for special occasions such as prom and formal events.

4. BarkBox is a popular subscription box company that delivers monthly dog treats and toys. It was founded by Carly Strife, who now serves as COO.

5. Dormify is a company every ~Collegiette~ should know. This company provides the ultimate shopping experience for college students. It was founded by Karen Zuckerman when her daughter was going into her freshman year of college and was frustrated by the college shopping experience.

6. Birchbox is a beauty subscription box company that was founded by Harvard Business School friends Hayley Barna and Katia Beauchamp.

7. Brandless is changing the game when it comes to how you buy home essentials. This company sends home staples direct to customers for as little as $3. Founded by Tina Sharkey, Brandless is for sure a company to keep your eye on this year.

Grace Cannon

Fairfield '20

Grace is a Communications Major at Fairfield University searching for the meme-ing of life. She lives by a Tom Haverford quote "Sometimes you gotta work a little so you can ball a lot" and enjoys the 1987 film Dirty Dancing. 
Alexis DiZenzo is a motivated Connecticut native. She attends Fairfield University where she is majoring in digital journalism and minoring in marketing. She is currently co-campus corespondent of Fairfield's Her Campus chapter. Along with managing Her Campus Fairfield, Alexis has interned with The Secured Lender Magazine, and NBC Sports. She is a contributing writer for Elite Daily as well as Thought Catalog. In the early stages of her college career, Alexis has taken the initiative to reach far among the stars and achieve goals early on. She has a great sense of editing, writing, publishing, marketing and leadership as well as strong interpersonal skills. (And a fun-loving, outgoing personality!) Alexis' favorite book (and movie) is The Great Gatsby, she lives by the words of Carrie Bradshaw and you could definitely find her on a beach, soaking up the sun. Instagram @alexisdizenzo www.alexisfdizenzo.com