50 Shades of Grey: Hilariously Hot and Caressingly Confusing

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Fairfield chapter.

So, It happened. I came, I saw, I conquered, I survived (barely).  This movie was a rollercoaster of emotions for numerous reasons.  Let’s start with the most obvious reason… okay let’s be real, respectively reasons 1-10:

Christian Grey’s golden temple of a body and his beautiful, beautiful, face:

That was just a little taste, are you ready to go 50 shades darker?!

I’m going to keep this simple.  Christian Grey knows what he’s doin’.  His character encompasses so many of the average woman’s fantasies that it’s hard for the majority not to like him.  Even though some of his “actions” towards Anastasia in the playroom were extreme, it intrigued the viewer, ultimately leaving them (me) …well…somewhat like this:

Besides the usual intimacy, Grey most definitely pushes the limits.  I mean, he insists that she sign a excruciatingly extensive contract with rules such as:

Obedience:The Submissive will obey any instructions given by the Dominant immediately without hesitation or reservation and in an expeditious manner. The Submissive will agree to any sexual activity deemed fit and pleasurable by the Dominant excepting those activities which are outlined in hard limits (Appendix 2). She will do so eagerly and without hesitation.

Food:The Submissive will eat regularly to maintain her health and wellbeing from a prescribed list of foods (Appendix 4). The Submissive will not snack between meals, with the exception of fruit.

Personal Safety:The Submissive will not drink to excess, smoke, take recreational drugs, or put herself in any unnecessary danger.

The list goes on. Now, Anastasia is no doubt undeniably into Christian Grey, but that isn’t to say that she is completely at his every whim, and she still grasps a bit of her #girlpower.

Besides the contract and all the S&M fun, the movie was actually pretty hilarious.  Grey had this amazing talent of slipping in the most inappropriate lines at the most unexpected times and it was awesome.  I’m not really sure if the whole theater was laughing to alleviate the steamy awkwardness or what, but who cares. 

As messed up as he is, you can’t help but root for the two of them, and hope that maybe just maybe; there will be a happy (and extremely hot) ending.

LATERS, BAYBEH.

Danielle was previously the Deputy Editor at Her Campus, where she oversaw social and content strategy, lifestyle, beauty, fashion, news, and entertainment. Prior to joining Her Campus, Danielle worked at House Beautiful as Senior Lifestyle Editor, directing and producing feature videos and stories. Danielle also served as Snapchat Editor at Cosmopolitan, overseeing the brands daily Snapchat Discover channel. In 2016, she launched Cosmo Bites — which is now the official food and beverage vertical at Cosmopolitan. That same year, Danielle was named as a Rising Star in the digital media industry by FOLIO Magazine. Danielle got her start in digital media by launching the Her Campus chapter at Fairfield University in 2014, where she acted as Campus Correspondent for 2.5 years, before graduating with a degree in English and creative writing. She enjoys wine, food, and long walks through HomeGoods. Follow Danielle on Instagram!