This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Fairfield chapter.

Study abroad, also known as “the experience of a lifetime”.  Almost 300,00 American college students study in foreign countries around the world each year, so the thought of taking your academics to a new campus enters every student’s mind at least once.  To some, the idea has been a lifelong dream and the decision has been made long ago as the countdown until takeoff begins in the triple digits.  For others, committing to your acceptance letter is a long process of figuring out if you’re ready to take a serious leap of faith.  I found myself stuck in the middle of this spectrum.  I consider myself to be incredibly independent, and making an executive decision has always been one of my stronger qualities.  However, I wavered back and forth for a long time on my decision to live overseas.  With a supportive push from family and friends, along with a long list of pros and cons, I finally bit the bullet and made the decision to study abroad.  After living in London for four months, I can now attest to the fact that yes, studying abroad is “the experience of a lifetime”.  I am forever thankful for the people in my life that did not give up on me when I felt like giving up on myself.  Studying abroad is not for everyone, and you should not be hard on yourself if you make the decision to turn down the opportunity.  But, for those of you who embark on a journey of a lifetime, I promise- you will not regret it.

50 Lessons I Learned Studying Abroad

1.     It will be the best decision you’ve ever made.

2.     Sometimes you think you made a really big mistake (especially in the beginning), but you did not.

3.     You get to see places you never thought you would see in your life.

4.     You appreciate everything about America, from a deli sandwich to other Americans, SO much more than you did before you left.

5.     You realize how much love you have for your family and friends J

6.     You get to eat some of the best food in the world.

7.     Getting on the plane is the hardest part.

8.     You become an expert on every single form of transportation.  Especially walking.

9.     Study abroad will feel like (and will be) your biggest accomplishment.

10. Wanderlust.

11. Saying you’re Irish suddenly has a lot more meaning when you get to visit Ireland.

12. You will have experiences that teach you more than you could ever learn in a classroom.

13. You learn to love the American dollar.

14. You find another place that you call home.

15. You learn an incredible amount about yourself and what you are capable of. 

16. Everything WILL go wrong, but that being said you learn how fix any situation no matter how horrible it may seem.

17. You get to be that annoying tourist for four months.

18. It is okay to be homesick.

19. You spend a ton of money and it’s awesome while it’s happening (but not so awesome when you finally come home).  Budgeting is a good idea!

20. A majority of the foreigners are incredibly annoying.

21. You will fall in love with travelling. 

22. It might seem far away, but you do eventually come home.

23. You can pretty much go out every night of the week without any consequences.

24. You’re legal!!!

25. You will NOT regret it.

26. Remember to thank your parents for literally “giving you the world”.

27. You don’t realize how much you appreciate American school until you go to European school.

28. You have the opportunity to make friends around the world, whether they are natives or other international students.

29. It looks fantastic on your resume, and you can also talk about your endless experiences in job interviews!

30. When else will you have time to spend four months traveling Europe?

31. You are challenged EVERY single day.

32. You appreciate the smallest things.

33. You will feel like you are missing out on everything, but in reality almost nothing changes at home while you’re gone.

34. Time never makes sense when you are abroad- a month can feel like a day but sometimes a day feels like a month. 

35. Sending postcards to your loved ones is a lot more fun than it sounds.

36. Sometimes you cry for no reason, but it makes you a stronger person.

37. You will gain a greater respect and understanding of other people no matter how different they may be.

38. People will love your accent.

39. Your parents are going to miss you so much to the point that it will be annoying, but make sure to give them a little love back.

40. You will carry your study abroad experience with you for the rest of your life.

41. It is NOT impossible to pack four months of clothes in a suitcase.

42. Try EVERYTHING.

43. You learn that giving up is never an option and persistence becomes one of your strongest qualities.

44. Sometimes you will go for hours without any cell phone service, but you learn to not care.

45. There is always room for one more gelato.

46. Getting off the plane when you get home is going to be one of the happiest moments of your life.

47. You learn to appreciate yourself.

48. Foreign currency makes you want to rip your hair out.

49. Take more pictures than necessary. 

50. You can do it.

Danielle was previously the Deputy Editor at Her Campus, where she oversaw social and content strategy, lifestyle, beauty, fashion, news, and entertainment. Prior to joining Her Campus, Danielle worked at House Beautiful as Senior Lifestyle Editor, directing and producing feature videos and stories. Danielle also served as Snapchat Editor at Cosmopolitan, overseeing the brands daily Snapchat Discover channel. In 2016, she launched Cosmo Bites — which is now the official food and beverage vertical at Cosmopolitan. That same year, Danielle was named as a Rising Star in the digital media industry by FOLIO Magazine. Danielle got her start in digital media by launching the Her Campus chapter at Fairfield University in 2014, where she acted as Campus Correspondent for 2.5 years, before graduating with a degree in English and creative writing. She enjoys wine, food, and long walks through HomeGoods. Follow Danielle on Instagram!