5 Ways to Decorate Your Room for Christmas

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Fairfield chapter.

Deck the halls, collegiettes! Christmas is right around the corner, and you all know what that means: time to bring out your holiday cheer and spice up your dorm room. Here are a few tips and fun ideas on how to decorate your dorm for the upcoming holiday season! 

1. Lights, lights, and more lights!Get ready to light your room up like a Christmas tree. Sure, maybe you already have string lights up in your dorm room, but so what? It’s Christmas. Hang up a few more strings… or ten. It’s a good excuse to give that ugly light switch a break.

2. Christmas treeWhat’s Christmas without a Christmas tree? No matter the size, color, or realness, a Christmas tree is definitely a necessity in your dorm room this holiday season. Decorate it, give it some lights, and you’re good to go. It may not be the tall, beautiful tree your family has set up in your family room, but being greeted by a cute mini tree lit up on your desk every time you walk in the room is a close second! 

3. Decorate your doorWrapping paper isn’t just used for wrapping presents these days, collegiettes. As college students, funds are tight. Go to the dollar store and pick out the cutest holiday wrap you and your roommate can find, and cover your door with it! And you can’t forget the sparkly bows. There’s nothing more exciting than having the most festive door in your hallway. Even better – you’ll have everyone walking by your room in awe at your beautiful creation. There’s no such thing as over doing it when it comes to decorating for Christmas.

4. Elf on the ShelfThink you’re too old for Christmas magic? Think again. Purchase an Elf on the Shelf and you’ll automatically feel like a kid again. This new childhood holiday obsession is taking over. All you have to do is name your elf and take turns hiding it between you and your roommate. This is a fun way for you and your roommate to have a good laugh and get you in the mood for Christmas. The idea is that Santa sent this elf to watch you. As we are aware, Santa’s always watching… are you being naughty or nice?

5. SnowflakesGrab some white printer paper and scissors and go to town. Make as many snowflakes as you possibly can. You can tape them on your walls, your door, your friend’s doors, and even hang them from the ceiling with some floss. This is a great decoration, and they can even stay up all winter long! Making snowflakes is a great way to procrastinate from studying for that Econ final that you’re absolutely dreading, and it will easily take your mind off of that professor who promised a take home exam but then made it in-class. Your dorm room will not only look like a winter wonderland, but you can make everyday a snow day.

Amanda McKelvey is a Co-Campus Correspondent and a senior at Fairfield University. She is a Journalism major with minors in Psychology and Communications. In addition to being a CC she has held internships with Michael Kors, CollegeFashionista.com and the Rockville Centre and Baldwin Heralds. In her free time, Amanda enjoys days on the beaches of Long Island, watching Scandal, Chicago Fire and the Bachelorette, eating anything sweet (chocolate, ice cream, cupcakes—you name it!) and reading a good book. She’s excited to spend her senior year living at Fairfield Beach with her best friends including fellow CC Danielle Tullo! You can follow her on Twitter @theAMANDAshowww or on Instagram @ammckelvey.