5 Tips on Planning the Perfect Friendsgiving

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Fairfield chapter.

Thankful, grateful, and blessed for friends that feel like family! We know we would be lost without them, so of course we must celebrate how much joy and love they bring to our lives. It’s time to get together for a time filled with lots of laughs, sharing unforgettable stories, and eating way too much ~delish~ food.

Here are our best tips on planning the perfect Friendsgiving that is sure to warm the hearts of all your besties!

1.) Decorate the table with a DIY table runner

We love this idea because it makes what could be a regular dinner extra special! All you need is some brown craft or parchment paper, markers, and a few colorful leaves or gourds. Personalize with your own festive messages or have everyone around the table write down what they’re thankful for.

2.) Phone Free Friendsgiving, at least for a couple hours

Let’s be honest, is there ever a moment when we’re not on our phones anymore?! Technology seems to be taking over everyone’s lives and while it is incredibly beneficial, it can be quite the distractor. This is such a special dinner with friends that should be fully savored and enjoyed and filled with lots of meaningful conversation. Be sure to capture all those snapshots and vids for your Insta before actually sitting down to eat. That way, everyone will be able to relax and embrace being in the moment!

3.) Turn up the tunes

Get your speakers and Spotify playlists ready! Break out all your favs, classic throwbacks, and of course, some winter jams for the season. This will set the mood, so be sure to pick ones that everyone will be able to sing-along and dance to for ultimate Friendsgiving fun. We all know it’s not Christmas just yet, but our girl Mariah’s “All I Want for Christmas Is You” is a must!

4.) Set an overall theme

There really is no need to re-create a whole Thanksgiving dinner if you and your friends aren’t feeling up to it. It’s quite a hassle and it’s very traditional. How about adding a touch of originality by choosing a theme? It could be something as simple as finger foods or baked goods. This makes your dinner totally unique and bends tradition to mix things up!

5.) Make it a potluck

Encourage everyone to bring one of their favorite dishes! Even with a theme, there will still be lots of variety with different types of finger foods, for example. This will put less pressure on the host too, so they can focus more on cleaning and decorating rather than cooking every dish.

Have fun celebrating, Collegiettes and Happy Friendsgiving! HCXO

Hi, my name is Emily and I’m a Communications Major with Minors in Art History and Sociology at Fairfield U. I have a passion for all things fashion, beauty, cooking, and fitness. I am a foodie at heart and am always looking for new recipes or restaurants to try. Editorial writing and social media managing are just a couple of my specialties! 
Alexis DiZenzo is a motivated Connecticut native. She attends Fairfield University where she is majoring in digital journalism and minoring in marketing. She is currently co-campus corespondent of Fairfield's Her Campus chapter. Along with managing Her Campus Fairfield, Alexis has interned with The Secured Lender Magazine, and NBC Sports. She is a contributing writer for Elite Daily as well as Thought Catalog. In the early stages of her college career, Alexis has taken the initiative to reach far among the stars and achieve goals early on. She has a great sense of editing, writing, publishing, marketing and leadership as well as strong interpersonal skills. (And a fun-loving, outgoing personality!) Alexis' favorite book (and movie) is The Great Gatsby, she lives by the words of Carrie Bradshaw and you could definitely find her on a beach, soaking up the sun. Instagram @alexisdizenzo www.alexisfdizenzo.com