5 Reasons to Fight PDA on Social Media

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Fairfield chapter.

It’s just like any other day when you decide to scroll through Instagram, except for when you are immediately struck with 5 pictures of couples with their tongues down each other’s throats. Gross. If you want to go make out with your boyfriend, fine, but for the sake and our love of social media, don’t post about it.

1. Kissing Pictures

Although you are in love and want to scream it to the world, no one needs to see you and your boyfriend full on making out via Instagram, Facebook, or Twitter. Please take it down a couple notches. For you it may be cute, but for the rest of us, it’s just uncomfortable.

2. MCM/WCW

To the couples that post their boyfriend or girlfriend as their MCM/WCW, please take a seat. Everyone knows that you are crushing on him or her because you are dating. Instagram is not the place to advertise your relationship, I don’t know if you got the memo yet, but now you do – so stop.

3. Love Letters Via Social Media

There’s always that couple that posts paragraph long statuses on Facebook about their significant other. If you want to let them know how you feel, then do it privately. Believe me, I could’ve gone my whole life without knowing every intimate detail about your relationship.

4. Explicit Commenters

It’s acceptable to comment on your significant other’s post on social media if it is done correctly. I’ll admit I think it’s adorable when a boyfriend comments on his girlfriend’s Instagram telling her she looks beautiful. However, using sexual innuendos on what you are doing later on in your comments is uncalled for. Everyone knows you should think before you post.

5. Excessive Posting

Every once in a while, posting a picture or a tweet about your relationship is acceptable and normal since you’re dating. But excessively posting about every time you hang out is just too much. Some things should just be kept between two people; I am not part of your relationship so I do not need to know about your romantic weekend.

English major with a concentration in journalism
Amanda McKelvey is a Co-Campus Correspondent and a senior at Fairfield University. She is a Journalism major with minors in Psychology and Communications. In addition to being a CC she has held internships with Michael Kors, CollegeFashionista.com and the Rockville Centre and Baldwin Heralds. In her free time, Amanda enjoys days on the beaches of Long Island, watching Scandal, Chicago Fire and the Bachelorette, eating anything sweet (chocolate, ice cream, cupcakes—you name it!) and reading a good book. She’s excited to spend her senior year living at Fairfield Beach with her best friends including fellow CC Danielle Tullo! You can follow her on Twitter @theAMANDAshowww or on Instagram @ammckelvey.