The 16 Types of Middle School Dancers

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Fairfield chapter.

We’ve all been there. We’ve all made it through. Just because we lived through the awkward stages doesn’t mean we don’t cringe at the sound of a clean version of an Akon song. The fact we thought these 16 dances were even remotely acceptable is a testament to the reality that braces, Abercrombie and choker necklaces DO cloud any tween’s judgment. How many of these dance fads are you guilty of?

1. Dance with your crew on the way thereNow that you’ve used a whole case of eyeliner on your lower lid, you and your girlfriends are all ready and can bust a move on the way to the dance… as long as your parents don’t try to join in singing “This Is Why I’m Hot” by MIMS.

2. Couple dancingThere was always that overly aggressive couple that refused to leave the other’s side at all throughout the entire night.

3. The “not sure who is behind you”Let’s face it, once you’re on the dance floor there’s no telling who exactly you’re bumping up against. Thank god we had our girlfriends to help us so we didn’t have to check out who was behind us on our own.“Is he cute? Should I keep dancing?”

4. Awkward grinding with your friend

5. Really awkward grinding with the random kid in your homeroom

6.  Slow dancingOnce  “Hero” by Enrique Iglesias came on, you were categorized into two groups- those brave souls who stayed or those who bolted to “get a drink” or “go to the bathroom.” Anything to avoid the awkwardness of slow dancing.

Are our sways in sync?

7. Soulja boyEvery parent’s worst nightmare. But it was just. So. Cool.

Too bad all we actually knew was “Superman that h**”

8. The highly anticipated dance with your crushThe moment is finally here. All of the instant messages you sent to SoccerBoyy2169 last night have finally paid off. Time to work your charm and show him what you got.

9. Planned routineAlas, you and your BFF can show the world your choreographed steps.

10. The person dancing alone the entire night and is LOVING ITThere is nothing that will stop these die-hard dancers from having the sweatiest night of their life. They’re the excitement when you think things are starting to slow down. I bet you can think of that one person right now. 

11. Circle dancingApple bottom jeans. Boots with the fur. The whole club is looking at ….  you. You’re in the spotlight and everyone is chanting your name. Now the big decision: do you show off the worm, or try to incorporate the moves from the last Step Up movie?

12. Girls onlyForce your BFFs into the middle of the crowded dance floor. Give it all you got. Possibly some foreshadowing of the Jersey Shore fist pump?

13. The chaperonesNot only was it our night, but it was also a first night out in a while for the teachers.

“I’m still hip, I still got it!”

14. GrindlineWhoever thought this was ever acceptable has to reevaluate their life.

15.  The wallflower who came out of nowhere to end the night on a high note  You were half convinced that this person was A LITERAL FLOWER with their feet rooted firmly to the ground. For some reason, this person changed their outlook and decided to give it their all, an attitude we all should have had.

16.  Last song of the nightMake it last for as long as possible. This night will never end if you don’t stop dancing. Hey Mr. DJ won’t you turn the music up?!?!

Never forget the memories that made you the person you are today– join us in remembering the awkwardness and share this article with your middle school crew.

Danielle was previously the Deputy Editor at Her Campus, where she oversaw social and content strategy, lifestyle, beauty, fashion, news, and entertainment. Prior to joining Her Campus, Danielle worked at House Beautiful as Senior Lifestyle Editor, directing and producing feature videos and stories. Danielle also served as Snapchat Editor at Cosmopolitan, overseeing the brands daily Snapchat Discover channel. In 2016, she launched Cosmo Bites — which is now the official food and beverage vertical at Cosmopolitan. That same year, Danielle was named as a Rising Star in the digital media industry by FOLIO Magazine. Danielle got her start in digital media by launching the Her Campus chapter at Fairfield University in 2014, where she acted as Campus Correspondent for 2.5 years, before graduating with a degree in English and creative writing. She enjoys wine, food, and long walks through HomeGoods. Follow Danielle on Instagram!