16 Struggles of Being Socially Awkward

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Fairfield chapter.

Let me just start this article off by saying that I personally relate to every single of the struggles listed. I never, ever, know what to do with my body and I have no idea what I would do without pretend-texting while waiting for my friends outside of Einstein’s.  I’m the girl you see saying sorry to the chair I just walked into, with at least one stain on every single one of my sweaters. So read on, collegiettes, because I know we all have a little awkwardness in us.

1. Not knowing what to do with your body.

2. Nervously eating everything in sight.

3. Always having food on your face and your clothes.

4. Trip over nothing. Alone. In the middle of the quad.

5. Walking into inanimate objects (and apologizing to them). 

6. Stuttering while talking to boys.

7. Sweating while talking to boys.

8. Having your legs give out/go numb while talking to boys.

9. Thinking someone is waving to you. (They aren’t).

10. Pretending to text when you’re alone in public.

11. Two words: Word Vomit.

12. Attempting to dance in the townhouses and resembling a dying fish.

13. Accidentally liking someone’s Instagram from 84 weeks ago.

14. Having your stomach grumble in quiet, public places.

15. When someone says hi to you from a distance and you still have a very long gap before you pass them.

16. Making eye contact with your crush in Barone, going to casually sip water, and not being able to find your straw.

Danielle was previously the Deputy Editor at Her Campus, where she oversaw social and content strategy, lifestyle, beauty, fashion, news, and entertainment. Prior to joining Her Campus, Danielle worked at House Beautiful as Senior Lifestyle Editor, directing and producing feature videos and stories. Danielle also served as Snapchat Editor at Cosmopolitan, overseeing the brands daily Snapchat Discover channel. In 2016, she launched Cosmo Bites — which is now the official food and beverage vertical at Cosmopolitan. That same year, Danielle was named as a Rising Star in the digital media industry by FOLIO Magazine. Danielle got her start in digital media by launching the Her Campus chapter at Fairfield University in 2014, where she acted as Campus Correspondent for 2.5 years, before graduating with a degree in English and creative writing. She enjoys wine, food, and long walks through HomeGoods. Follow Danielle on Instagram!