15 Post-Study Abroad Things to Get Used to at Home

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Fairfield chapter.

1.      The Time Difference

I’m not 6 hours ahead anymore, yahoo! Thankfully, I will be able to finally talk to my friends when I wake up in the morning. Although my body will still be on Euro time, I can’t wait to embrace the craving I will have for breakfast at 3 a.m. wide awake. 

2.      Having to Tip at A Restaurant

There is no way I am ever going out to eat ever again in my life if I have to go back to tipping 18-20% on a bill. I’ll stay in Europe and pay the 2 euro sit down fee and no tip (tipping isn’t a thing here when you go out to eat), or I’ll just grab takeout. #ThingsICantAffordToDo

3.      Not Having to Pay 12 Cents for A Bag at The Grocery Store

Thank you Stop & Shop for showing me how blessed I am to be able to have the option of unlimited paper or plastic bags FO’ FREE. Also, I might get lost in Stop & Shop because grocery stores in Europe are the size of a convenience store in the U.S. Cheers to more food and variety!

4.      Not Being Able to Buy A Good, Cheap Bottle of Wine

Let me tell you, not only is the drinking age 18 in Europe, but you can find a decent bottle of wine for 7 euro or less. It’s a win-win, AND it’s probably from a local vineyard… yeah, can’t wait to go back to drinking the sh***y wine I can afford.

5.      Bagels

BAE-GELS. Trust me, this is the ONE thing I miss the most. Not being able to indulge in a bagel and cream cheese from Dunkin’ or Einsteins before class was a heartbreaker. I am literally going to run to the nearest Dunks and buy 10 bagels every morning for the first two weeks I am home to make up for lost time. Sorry, croissants, but you just don’t cut it.

6.      Having to Pay More Than $5 for A Sandwich

Wait a minute, Pino won’t follow me home and make me 4 euro panini? What do you mean the hot guys from All’Antico won’t wink at me and make me my panini for 5 euro? Literally… RIP.

7.      Having to Drive to The Store…. and Everywhere Else

Having the grocery store RIGHT behind my apartment has been a blessing. Need more bread? Out of toilet paper? Craving some good chocolate? No problem, I’ll just walk right outside my door and hang a right. Having walked everywhere since arriving in Europe, driving a car will be completely foreign. Steer clear of the roads, my people!

8.      Using A $1 Bill Instead of A Euro Coin

I am so used to saving my coins now because 1 and 2 euro here are coins, and having to go back to using a physical dollar bill will be a huge change. Arrivederci to the horrific conversion rates though!

9.      The Confusing Transportation System

Sad because Europe has set the standard for all means of transportation. Want to take a fast train to the other end of Italy? Sure, just buy a ticket before getting on and find the track (at a pretty decent price), it won’t be hard. The trains are literally all numbered and right there in front of you AND almost always on time (if not early). Dear Amtrak, figure it out. 

10.   Being Able to Indulge in A Jar of Peanut Butter.

Music to my ears, not much there is to say, you all understand our pain.

11.   Having The Luxury of A Dryer

Gone are the days of drying racks and planning your laundry around your schedule… now there is this cool, hip thing I get to return to, called a DRYER! Who knew how precious this thing was? Also, cheers to my jeans finally fitting me again and peace out to the lint and dust that I thought would ~forever~ be stuck to my Lulus.

12.   Not Being Able to Get Gelato Every Single Night (or almost, but still)

Gelato is heaven sent. It is the perfect middle ground between hard ice cream and soft serve. Grabbing a 2.50 gelato every night is so casual here in Europe. Sorry, Sunny Daes, but your “gelato” really isn’t gelato at all. 

13.   Being Broke – Whoops!

Where did all of my money go….? Spending money on FOOD and traveling every weekend takes a huge toll on the wallet and the savings, but mostly the food. It seems to be more justified when I’m sitting on the beach in Spain sipping on sangria, and that’s ok, right?

14.   Actually Having to Go Back to Work Or Start An Internship

How does one work? Can’t I just go to class, travel, eat and repeat for the rest of my days? I swear I’ll be successful…

15.   Not Constantly Traveling Every Weekend to A Different Place

This is huge. Going home and not having a different place to escape to every single weekend is going to be so hard. Why can’t I go to Ibiza? Why not a day trip to Cinque Terre? I feel like exploring the ruins in Rome… Oh wait, I’m back in America. Welcome home, get used to it!

Gabriella is currently a junior at Fairfield University, where she is majoring in Marketing and minoring in Communications. She is Co-Campus Correspondent of Her Campus Fairfield with her roomie/best friend Pamela Grant! Gab can most likely be found with a Venti Starbs in hand, while wearing obnoxiously large sunnies (no shame), reading the most recent issue of Glamour Mag.