12 Must-Have Apps for Collegiettes

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Fairfield chapter.
Besides the obvious– Facebook, Instagram, Twitter, Snapchat, Vine, and Tinder — here are 12 other apps that are essential to college life.

1. Nike+ Running: With warm weather approaching, this app tracks your jogs/runs while letting you customize your running music. Also, sync it to your Facebook account and have your friends “cheer” you on!

2. InstaSize or Pic Stitch: Take your Instagram photos to the next level. Dedicate a collage to a best friend. No more awkward crop jobs. Be more creative and artsy!

3. WhatsApp or Viber: Most likely you have a few friends studying abroad. Stay in touch oversees with free phone calls, texting, and cute emojis!

4. Flixster: Want to invest in a good movie? Check out critic and fan reviews of old, new, or in-theater movies. Also, find movie theaters and show times in your area. 

5. BuzzFeed: If you aren’t already addicted enough to the online site, there’s a customizable app for your phone now too. 

6. Daily Horoscope: Go ahead be superstitious. This app is scary good at knowing your life. 

7. QuizUp: Challenge your friends or play opponents from across the globe. The quizzes cover everything from the “Fifty Shades of Gray” book series to “Online Slang.”

8. Dictionary.com: Because we all should be a little more literate. Featuring a “Word of the Day”, simple definitions and synonyms, this app is helpful inside and outside of the classroom. 

9. Pandora or 8Tracks: Great playlists for pretty much all times and situations. Focus yourself during a study session or turn it up for a pregame. 

10. Countdown+ Event Reminders: Count down the days, hours, minutes, and seconds until Clam Jam, your 21st birthday, or your Spring Break vacation! 

11. Heads Up!: Bored with friends? Need a new drinking game? Gather a group and laugh hysterically at this interactive game of reverse Charades.

12. Self Control (For Macs): Are you easily distracted or an avid procrastinator? This app literally blocks whichever website you choose (i.e. Facebook) for however long you wish. It’s the ultimate grade saver. 

Bonus: All of these apps are free through the Apple App Store!

Katrina is a junior at Fairfield University with double majors in English and Journalism, and a minor in German. 
Amanda McKelvey is a Co-Campus Correspondent and a senior at Fairfield University. She is a Journalism major with minors in Psychology and Communications. In addition to being a CC she has held internships with Michael Kors, CollegeFashionista.com and the Rockville Centre and Baldwin Heralds. In her free time, Amanda enjoys days on the beaches of Long Island, watching Scandal, Chicago Fire and the Bachelorette, eating anything sweet (chocolate, ice cream, cupcakes—you name it!) and reading a good book. She’s excited to spend her senior year living at Fairfield Beach with her best friends including fellow CC Danielle Tullo! You can follow her on Twitter @theAMANDAshowww or on Instagram @ammckelvey.