10 Things to Know Before Leaving for a Semester Abroad

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Fairfield chapter.

If you’re reading this you’re either leaving for study abroad soon or you’re deciding whether or not studying abroad is for you. Trust me, I’ve been in both positions and I know how it feels. About four months ago, I left to study in Florence, Italy and I am telling you right now that it was the best decision I’ve made in my collegiette career.   With that being said, I’m going to let you in on a secret; there is not enough planning in the world that can prepare you for the experiences (and minor obstacles) that you’re going to face while abroad.  However, there are a few things that could make it a little easier.

1) Leave room in your luggage on your way there

I witnessed many emotional girls emptying their overweight luggage at the airport the morning of my return. Leave room because you know you’re going to buy lots of souvenirs and gifts for all your loved ones back home. Also, you will do plenty of shopping for clothes while you are there, so do not over pack!

2) Prepare for all kinds of weather

There is no need to pack 4 pairs of boots or 15 bathing suits.  And if you realize you need something, shopping abroad is better than you can imagine. (Hello, Europe is the home of Louis Vuitton and Burberry; I promise you’ll survive.)

3) Make sure to pack your favorite pair of sweatpants

Sure you’ll get stares if you wear them out of your apartment, but no one is going to judge you when you decide to spend the day at home Facetiming with your friends and family.

4) Talk to your bank to avoid foreign charges

And while you’re at it, look into getting a travel credit card because most places won’t accept your debit cards.

5) Exchange money ahead of time

Order foreign currency from your bank prior to departure to avoid commission fees and high exchange rates.

6) Take advantage of your phone plan while you can

Paying for an extended international phone plan can turn out to be pretty pricey. I suggest looking for a local phone company (like Vodafone) and switching your SIM card to one they can supply you with. 

7) Get your Starbucks fix while you can

Unless espresso is your shot of preference, you will have to change the way you normally drink coffee. Oh and if you ask for it over ice, they’ll think you’re crazy. 

8) Buy a Brita water bottle

I think that’s self-explanatory. It is just better to be safe than sorry. Especially if you plan on travelling, you never really know if the water is safe to drink. 

9) Bring a notebook and index cards

Because I know I’m not the only one who’s neurotic when it comes to taking notes and studying for exams. It’s always better to be over-organized than scrambling to make makeshift flashcards the night before three exams.

10) Get out of your comfort zone

Leave all of your expectations at the airport and go into this once in a lifetime opportunity with a clear head and an open heart. Remember, life begins at the end of your comfort zone. 

Pamela is currently in her senior year at Fairfield Univerity where she is majoring in management. In her free time she enjoys working out, spending time with friends and family and binge watching reality television. *guilty*.... Follow her on instagram! @pamelagrant