Trending #Vegan: Celebrities riding the wave of fashion’s latest trend

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at F and M chapter.

Food and fashion have always been linked in a multitude of ways. From debating whether or not runway models actually eat, to Lady Gaga wearing a dress made of meat, food is always a trending topic. Lately, the trend seems to be wearing your diet as an accessory. More and more celebrities are classified by the food choices they make, specifically whether or not they choose to eat meat and other animal products.

Most recently and perhaps the most notably active participant in this sensation is Bill Clinton. Clinton has become an outspoken proponent of the vegan lifestyle, particularly one that abstains not only from animal products, but also from most oils and artificial sweeteners. The former President embarked on his plant-based journey for health reasons following a “routine” quadruple bypass surgery in September 2004.

Google “Bill Clinton” and see what appears. Following his presidency and even leading up to his heart condition, the Google search engine would have finished the “Bill Clinton” search with terms like “impeached,” “scandal,” “presidency,” or “biography.” Now, the first option Google provides to finish the phrase is “diet,” followed by “vegan.” Clinton’s diet change has become a sensation, pulling at the ears of many Americans both convinced by and those who still question the health benefits offered by a balanced plant-based diet.

The sensationalism of Clinton’s diet is just one example of how the vegan food craze is taking our nation by storm—popular diets are emerging as vegan cleanses; two books out of ten on the New York Times Bestseller List in the Paperback Advice and Miscellaneous section being how-to guides for living a plant-based diet; talk show hosts like Martha Stewart and Oprah dedicating hour long programs to investigating vegan dietary choices; the proclaimed veganism of celebrities like Alicia Silverstone, Betty White, and Joaquin Phoenix. Regardless of whether this is considered a fashion trend-like fad or truly a lifestyle, it is catching on.

Businessweek magazine states Clinton is joined by a financially elite group of American’s in their advocacy for veganism. We should not be surprised that many wealthy people seem to be shunning meat, eggs, and dairy because it is “an exclusive club”. Veganism itself is expensive and requires an education in the practice of a healthy vegan diet to be successful. Sometimes, it even requires a personal chef and nutritionist. The hiring of said professionals by celebrities is becoming ever popular. In the same way that you only ever see runway fashion on the wealthiest of Hollywood, healthy eating is out reach for many common Americans, a condition many organizations are being created to remedy.

In this ever-changing fashion world of food, average Americans need to be guided by their idols. Putting faces to healthy eating practices brings necessary attention to nutritional studies. In the same way that the middle-class can buy some of their favorite designers and name-brand labels at Marshalls and TJ Maxx, food fashion will follow the trickle down effect to general American society. Advocates of the diet hope that this will occur in time to save the country from many food-born diseases similar to the heart conditions that Mr. Clinton experienced and reversed by eating a plant-based diet.

Sources:

http://www.nytimes.com/best-sellers-books/2011-09-18/paperback-advice/list.html

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2011/08/18/bill-clinton-vegan_n_930816.html

Molly is a junior at Franklin and Marshall College majoring in Creative Writing with a minor in Women's and Gender Studies. Molly is a member of the Zeta Beta chapter of Phi Sigma Pi National Honor Fraternity, a former field hockey player, and Relationships & College Life writer at ChickSpeak.com. This native Jersey girl can be found hitting the pavement on daily runs, watching Sex and The City, or shopping for the best sales. A self-proclaimed foodie, Molly can out-eat any guy she has dated. Molly is an aspiring writer and is looking to take the publishing world by storm post-graduation.