Rae Richardson ’15

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at F and M chapter.

Major: Anthropology
Hometown: Wausau, WI
Activities: WFNM, TDF Scene Shop, Netflix Marathoning, Being a Hermit, Cooking for anyone who will eat it

How is it being abroad at the F&M Italy site? 
I’m actually at a partner program called The Umbra Institute through Arcadia University. I could’ve gone somewhere like Rome and been around more American students, but here I am learning Italian crazy quickly and getting to actually form relationships with local Italians. The baristas as the coffee shop that I stop by before class know me already (and know to have a nutella croissant waiting)! Perugia is absolutely beautiful and full of amazing food and quirky people and stunning architecture and just so much history that it hurts! I can’t express how much I love this place.

What do you miss most? 
I really miss being able to tell my roommate and my boyfriend about my day when I get home. There’s so many things I want to share with them but the time difference makes it hard. (Also chocolate chip cookies and crockpots)

Since it’s almost Valentine’s Day, what love advice have you learned in Italy? Is there any Italian quote that summarizes it?
Italians have this concept called “la bella figura” which means presenting yourself always in the most beautiful way you can. They can wear a bright red embroidered coat, neon green leggings, and a bowtie they picked up off a street vendor and make it look great. For love, you need to try and see your partner in a beautiful way every day. On days when your relationship feels less than beautiful, remember that each rough patch and funky bit will combine to make an even more unique, stunning, and worthwhile whole in the end.

Any Spring Break travel plans?
Break is the week after next and I’m pretty psyched! Two of my girlfriends and I are headed to Paris for a few days to relax and take in the museums and then off the London to explore the city for a few more days. I’m really hoping we make it to the Salvador Dalí museum in Paris!!

Ben or John?
Ben. He seems much more willing to marathon Marco Polo or House M.D. with me :)

I am currently a senior at Franklin and Marshall College in the picturesque city of Lancaster, PA. I am a Spanish and History major and I'm excited to be a writer for HerCampus F&M. I love finding new and interesting ways to design nails and always share it with others. I also love all things of adventurous and exotic natures, stories, art, and cute boys (let's not forget what we really are checking on HerCampus).
Along with being the Her Campus Franklin and Marshall Campus Correspondent, I am also the editor-in-chief of Epilogue, F&M's literary Magazine, Staff Writer for The College Reporter, F&M's student newspaper, and a very active member of Phi Sigma Pi National Honor Fraternity. When not hard at work, you can find me writing, reading, geeking out over Disney movies with my friends, or doing art projects.