danielle macinnes IuLgi9PWETU unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
danielle macinnes IuLgi9PWETU unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

Learn About Our Majors: The Life of a Government Major

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at F and M chapter.

Have you always been a curious person? Do you love to learn about how the government works? Are you a history person? Do you have a knack for international relations? If this sounds like you, then you might just be a GOVERNMENT MAJOR!

Image courtesy of Connecticut College

Learn About Our Majors: The Life of a Government Student

As a government major, you are paving your way towards a career in finance, public service, law, and even education. Here at Franklin & Marshall College, you are required to take 10 courses (5 core government classes, 4 electives, and a upper level seminar), as well as a cognate of 3 courses in an either philosophy, math, foreign language, economics, or a semester abroad, to major in this department. Likewise, if you are interested in Public Policy, you are required to take an additional 7 courses. There’s also another option to joint study with government and that is international studies, which requires 4 additional courses outside the gov requirements as well as proficiency in a new language.

Image courtesy of Brain Pop

In order to become a government major, it is important that you genuinely like the subject and am interested in it. This is because, not only will you be spending a great amount of time studying different styles of governments and conflict, but you will also be studying the subject for the next four years – and possibly the rest of your career.

Why Should I Become a Gov Major?

As a gov major, you will almost never have to worry about the stresses of course registration because you will most likely get into the classes that you need. In addition, there is a high possibility that your classes will be arranged around a Monday/Wednesday, or Tuesday/Thursday schedule, as most of the courses are 1 hr and 20 minutes and the gov dept. is practically empty on Fridays! Also, depending on the topic, there’s a high chance that other majors will be in some of your classes for pure interests, adding even more diversity to the types of discussions that go on in your classes.

How Would You Describe the Government Department?

The professors in the government department are very eccentric and genuine. One of the best things about being a government major is the support system that is offered throughout the department. For example, professors are readily available around the time that your schedules will be due. Aside from that, professors are always willing to meet and are extremely understanding with our crazy schedules. Most importantly, they understand that we take other courses and time management is untouchable. One of the perks of being a gov major is having 24/7 access to the Harris –quite possibly the most posh building on campus, but seriously your friends from another department will want to study in the lounge and atrium because of how nice and quiet it is!  Located on the second floor of Harris, the government lounge is by far the nicest place on campus for a group project session at the large conference table or catching up on readings in the comfy leather sofas.

Image courtesy of Franklin & Marshall College

"People will stare. Make it worth their while." -Harry Winston 
Vivian is the current Campus Correspondent and Marketing Director of the Her Campus chapter at F&M, where she has been a member for 3 years. She is a senior at Franklin & Marshall College, studying business and sociology. In her free time, she can be found catching up on TV shows, reading novels, or spending time with her sorority sisters. Her interests include branding, public relations, and marketing.