Academy Award 2016 Major Category Predictions

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at F and M chapter.

IMPORTANT DISCLAIMER: I’ve been an avid movie watcher forever, and every year I make it a personal mission to watch all of the best picture nominees before Oscars. I’ve seen all eight of those films, but I’m certainly not a film critic or major. I chose to predict the categories with which I (and presumably most people) am most familiar. Although I may not have much formal knowledge, I just love the movies (and I predicted almost everything correctly last year).

BEST PICTURE: “The Revenant”

Although “Spotlight” is the current frontrunner, after Alejandro Innaritu’s “Birdman” upset in 2015, it looks as though he is on the fast track to do the same thing with this thrilling film.

BEST DIRECTOR: George Miller “Mad Max: Fury Road”

Although George Miller is 70 years old, his nomination for “Mad Max: Fury Road” is his first one, and hopefully not his last. His directorial work in this film goes above and beyond, and he definitely deserves a golden statue.

BEST ACTOR: Leonardo DiCaprio “The Revenant”

Yes, I finally believe that it is Leo’s year to take home the trophy. After years of internet memes and missed opportunities, he blew viewers away with his performance in “The Revenant”. Here’s hoping he finally gets the Oscar he’s always deserved.

BEST ACTRESS: Brie Larson “Room”

Although all of the actresses nominated are extremely talented, Brie Larson’s chilling performance in “Room” outshines the others. She made the film seem feel real, and I’d love to see more of her work.

BEST SUPPORTING ACTOR: Tom Hardy “The Revenant”

Although this category is still fairly unpredictable, Tom Hardy’s performance does exactly what a supporting actor’s should: compliments his star’s (Leonardo DiCaprio) while also remaining solid on its own. Tom Hardy does this perfectly in his role, leaving him deserving of the award.

BEST SUPPORTING ACTRESS: Kate Winslet “Steve Jobs”

Although it’ll certainly be hard to beat Jennifer Jason Leigh’s phenomenal performance in “The Danish Girl”, I believe Kate Winslet will pull through with the win. Plus, who doesn’t want to see her and Leo together again?

BEST ANIMATED FEATURE: “Inside Out”

Everyone who has seen “Inside Out” knows why it deserves the Oscar, so there’s really no contest here. This heartfelt film just leaves you wanting to watch it again. I can’t forsee any upset in this category.

Fingers crossed!! Tune in tonight and see if I was right! 

Karolina Heleno is a student at Franklin and Marshall College majoring in Creative Writing and minoring in Women and Gender Studies. She currently serves as the Communications Intern with the YWCA of Lancaster.