7 Tips to Surviving Finals Week

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at F and M chapter.

Finals got you down? Remember these tips to make the week more bearable.

• Make a Schedule

It is much easier to accomplish tasks when you know what needs to be done and by what deadline. Write down every assignment you have and block out time to work on each specific assignment. If you have a lot due on a certain day sometimes it helps to make your own deadlines in order to get things done ahead of time.

Editor’s tip: Create your to-do list in brightly colored markers. Coloring will ease your mind a bit (cough, cough, procrastinate) and make those assignments easier on the eyes.

• Take Breaks

There is no use in studying for 7 hours straight. Eventually your brain cannot retain any more information so give it a rest. Take a walk, go to Jazzman’s, get away from your work for at least 20 minutes. When you return your mind will be refreshed and ready to buckle down again.

Editor’s tip: My go-to brain fuel: a “Chai Charger” from Chestnut Hill Café on Chestnut Street. A yummy alternative to coffee, the drink consists of Chai with a shot of espresso. This hole-in-the wall is closer than any of the Starbucks in Lancaster and is located across the street from DogStar, a used books store, if you want to browse old books on your study break.

• Exercise

Even if you are not an athletic person it always helps to get moving. Doing some type of physical activity, if even only for 20 minutes, can break up your studying or paper writing. It also reenergizes you. Running, walking, biking and swimming are all great ways to get your heart pumping. When you get back to the library you’ll be in a better mood, thanks to some good ol’ endorphins.

Editor’s tip: A campus loop is equal to 1.5 miles. Go a little farther—around Lancaster Regional Hospital—and make it 2 miles.

• Eat Healthy

While it is tempting to load your body with mozzarella sticks from Pandini’s and fries from D-Hall, those types of greasy foods will make you feel more sluggish and lethargic. Be sure to have well balanced meals to keep your body feeling good. The paninis from Pandini’s are a great healthy option. Fruit is also a great snack to bring to Shad.

Editor’s Tip: Chestnut Hill Café (again) has delicious healthy paninis, sandwiches, soups, and granola. Go there!

• Get Enough Sleep

This may seem impossible to do during finals week, but it is one of the most imperative things on this list. All nighters are common among college students, but when you are awake for over 17 hours straight your body starts to feel the same effects it does after drinking. You would never think of writing a paper while drunk, do why do it when you’re over tired? Go to bed (or at least take a nap) and finish your paper in the morning when you are refreshed.

Editor’s tip: Make a timetable and stick to it. During finals week, vow to get as much work done as possible before midnight. After the clock tolls twelve, relax your brain with a crossword, flip through a magazine, or pop in a movie.

• Learn Something

Doing research and studying for exams often seem like drudgery, but when you stop for a moment you’ll realize that there is a lot of cool information out there. I know this is not applicable to every assignment, but the ultimate goal of most intellectual endeavors is to learn something. So don’t just memorize facts for a history exam, learn them. Don’t pick the easiest topic for your research paper, instead, write about something that interests you. The work will be much more fulfilling and interesting in the end.

Editor’s tip: If you are writing a paper for a Gen Ed requirement that you might not feel passionate or excited about, try putting a spin on a topic that is related to your major or minor.

• Look to the Future

It is always good to have a goal in mind or something you are striving for. Most people are more motivated to accomplish a task when there is something waiting for them at the end. For most students on the F&M campus that goal is Myrtle. Looking ahead to Myrtle will most likely make you work efficiently and effectively so that you can get down to South Carolina to enjoy the sun, the ocean and who am I kidding, the booze.

Editor’s tip: If you close your eyes tight enough, you might end up in Myrtle…

Molly is a junior at Franklin and Marshall College majoring in Creative Writing with a minor in Women's and Gender Studies. Molly is a member of the Zeta Beta chapter of Phi Sigma Pi National Honor Fraternity, a former field hockey player, and Relationships & College Life writer at ChickSpeak.com. This native Jersey girl can be found hitting the pavement on daily runs, watching Sex and The City, or shopping for the best sales. A self-proclaimed foodie, Molly can out-eat any guy she has dated. Molly is an aspiring writer and is looking to take the publishing world by storm post-graduation.