This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Exeter chapter.

Now that the festive period is well and truly over, the sales have been unleashed upon us. People tend to take one of two approaches to sale shopping: run and hide until it’s all over, or dive in to the nearest pile of discounted clothing. It is always easy to get carried away with the bargains on offer but there is nothing worse than coming home with bags of clothes bought for the price rather than the style. Our guide to the sales will help you to spot the gems among the junk and spend your Christmas money wisely this January. Make it your New Year’s resolution to make the most of this year’s sales and get some things you’ll love all year long.

Be a savvy shopper

There is nothing more disappointing than getting caught up in the adrenalin-fuelled haze of sale shopping and coming home with bags full of clothes you will never ever wear. There is a fine line to tread between making the most of the discounts and buying clothes that will never again see the light of day. Those River Island board shorts may be cute and super cheap, but when is the next time you’re hitting the beach? On the other hand, clubbing dresses are always worth buying in the sales: having a stylish outfit ready in your wardrobe is great for impromptu nights out, or for making a standard night out feel a bit more special. You might go to the same club every week, but getting dressed up in something new makes it that little bit more exciting.  Heels and jewellery are also great to pick up in the sales. Heels usually stretch the student budget to the limit, so the sales are the perfect time to grab one (or two or three) new pairs. You might not need them now, but you might not be able to afford them when you do! If you see a discounted pair you love you should never pass them up. Jewellry is another great thing to pick up in the sales. Rings and necklaces are so easily lost that it is worth stocking up on them when they are hugely reduced. Plus they are a great way to refresh an old outfit for the next night out if you can’t quite afford a new dress.  

A girl can never have too many shoes!

Discount those damages!

Make up stains on a gorgeous white dress are undoubtedly off putting, but they are no reason to pass up on an otherwise perfect purchase. Many clothes have to be put into clearance because of surface damages like a foundation mark, but these stains are easily washed off leaving with you a party-perfect dress. Be sure to ask for extra discount on items like these. You can normally get an extra 10% off, although you won’t be able to return it afterwards. But don’t get carried away with bargain hunting and buy damaged goods in the hope that you can repair them later. Those £10 jeans may be the dream pair, but if they have a damaged zip that needs fixing they will cost you a lot more in the long run. Similarly, if you see tops with slight pulls or a few sequins missing it may not be noticeable now but it is a sign that the item is of poor quality and only likely to get more damaged with wear. These clothes are discounted for a reason and they might be cheap, but that doesn’t mean they aren’t a waste of money.

Size doesn’t matter

Don’t be put off by sizing labels on clothes. If you love something, try it on. Many shops seem to make up sizing as they go along (we’re looking at you, Reiss and Zara) so don’t take the labels too seriously. Many size tens and twelves might avoid ever picking up a size six, but often baggy clothes drown petite people, which is why there are so many left in the sale. These floaty tops and dresses might fit a larger size perfectly though. Sales are the perfect time to experiment with clothes and sizing, so take a pile of things into the changing room and you might just surprise yourself with what suits you!

Don’t read the label

Often clothes can be reworked in surprising ways. Use the current low prices as an opportunity to try things out that you wouldn’t normally wear. For example, one of my most loved dresses for a night out is actually a size twelve skirt. I just pull it up and wear it as a gorgeous strapless dress. Many things are in the sale because they don’t look very good on – this dress would make a pretty ugly skirt because it is quite long and fitted. However, it is perfect dress material! So if you see a fabric, style or shape you like, try and experiment with it. Just because it isn’t supposed to be worn a certain way doesn’t mean you can’t! A more obvious example is taking an iPad holder and using it as a clutch bag, another thing I have been known to do! iPad holders tend to go into the sale because more are made than would ever be sold at a shop like Topshop. Luckily for us they make the perfect clutch bags – they are just the right size to fit in your hand and come in a range of patterns and designs. They always end up being sold at a discounted price so make sure you grab one before someone else does!

Ipad case, Topshop

Don’t be afraid to ask

Sales move at such a fast pace that clothes are often discounted in the shop’s computer system before the sticker can be updated. If you find something you love but aren’t sure if your money will stretch that far, take the item to the tills and see if it’s been discounted further. This is also a good way to make your mind up about clothes you can’t decide on. If you like something but aren’t one hundred percent in love with it, see if the price has been reduced any more. A cute dress might not be worth £20 but if it has been recently discounted to £10 it is easier to justify buying. And remember, you can often get student discount on top of sale prices. Never be embarrassed to ask. We are students, after all!  

Picture credits:

Topshop.com

Pinterest.com

Cambridge.tab.co.uk