XTAN – Exeter’s new spray tan for students!

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Exeter chapter.

With SSB on the horizon, I got in touch with Exeter’s newest, and most beautifully bronzed entrepreneurs, the creators of XTAN (the spray tans at amazing prices!) These girls are bound to be preparing themselves for this coming weekend, so here at Her Campus Exeter we thought we’d ask a few questions to see how the business is going and why their tans are worth having!

Names: Kate Rayner and Georgina Kerr

Year/degree at uni: Drama Year 3

What made you start up your own business?
We are two girls who find the thought of our summer tan fading through the winter far too depressing to face. However, without ruining our skin with unhealthy sun beds or the admin of constantly topping up a gradual tan, the only option is spray tans which can hit the bank balance hard! In an attempt to rectify this issue we have started up our own business offering the ladies and gentlemen of Exeter a salon quality spray tan at an affordable price.

Talk us through the company and what you get up to – has it been a hit in Exeter?
Since opening for business this September we have been shocked by how quickly XTAN has taken off. Our promotion night at Mosiac on the 12th Novemeber was such a huge success and got our name out there – we are now getting bookings from so many different students from all year groups.

Is spray tanning part of your regular beauty routine?
Yes, most definitely. We both like to have a tan and we believe most people would agree that having a tan always makes you feel better about yourself, especially during the cold winter term. In the run up to a big event like a 21st or a dinner party, getting a spray tan would definitely be part of our beauty routine. The solution we use is called ‘OMG tanning solution” It uses the highest quality EcoCert DHA for a flawless tan. OMG solution is blended with natural emollients and antioxidants with added Aloe Vera to moisturize and protect your skin. We offer a range of DHA percentages to ensure the best results for our clients.

What makes your spray tan business stand out from a regular beauty salon tan treatment?
The difference is that we offer professional spray tans at student prices. We stand out because we offer the most competative spray tan prices in Exeter. On the weekend before SSB, due to high demand, we are having people come to our house to get a spray tan, however usually we are a mobile service and therefore able to provide customers with a fantastic spray tan in the comfort of their own homes.

I expect you’ll be seeing a huge influx of customers with SSB coming up… are you prepared to spray the masses?
We are already taking bookings for the weekend before SSB and are encouraging people to book ASAP to avoid disappointment. We offer great deals on our TEAM TANS (£10 Full body for groups of 10+) but are still offering our usual service of individual full body spray tans at £15 per person. SSB is a unique event where people are always keen to feel and look at their best, which is why glowing golden skin is a definite must. We have extended our opening times to 8am-10pm and are allowing people to come to us so we have availability for as many clients as possible on the weekend of the 8th and 9th of December. We are still providing a mobile service for larger groups of 10+ but are allowing smaller groups and individual tans to come to us.

Whilst this is targeted at girls I’m guessing you get a few guys enquiring. What’s the girl to guy ratio of tans you do?
So far the ladies of Exeter have definitely shown a larger interest in X TAN than the gentlemen! However, we have had loads of guys booking in for the weekend before SSB. In our opinion there is nothing better than a man tan and so we encourage and welcome the male inhabitants of Exeter to get involved with X TAN and start sporting a summer glow all year round.

Can you shower after the spray tans and how long do they last for?
After receiving an XTAN you need to leave the tan to develop and cannot shower for 6-8 hours after the spray tan. When showering you should avoid soaps and try to keep shampoos and conditioners to a minimum. Our tans will continue to darken over 24 hours and last up to a week. They produce salon quality results and provide clients with natural even looking tans.

So there you have it girls (and boys!) make sure you’ve booked your spray tan for SSB… Or even if you just fancy a summer glow in these dark and wintery days! Make sure you check out XTAN’s facebook page and book yourself in.

Picture credits: http://www.facebook.com/messag…