This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Exeter chapter.

If any of you spent your Saturday evening watching X Factor and I’m a Celebrity Get Me Out of Here you might have noticed all the contestants and presenters wearing a sparkly red ribbon. For all of you that didn’t know, this red ribbon represents World AIDS Day.

World AIDS Day was first celebrated in 1988 and since then, it has continuously been recognised on 1 December every year as an opportunity for people all around the world to unite in the fight against HIV and AIDS.

According to the World AIDS Day website, there are around 100,000 living with HIV in the UK. Between 1981 and 2007, over 25 million people have died from the virus making it “one of the most destructive pandemics in history.” Despite medical advances being made, the NAT (National AIDS Trust) see the day as important in reminding the government that “HIV has not gone away- there is still a vital need to raise money, increase awareness, fight prejudice and improve education.”

So, how can you get involved to support World AIDS day? Easy. Firstly head to www.worldaidsday.org and educate yourself about the facts of HIV. There are tons of quick, fun quizzes to try out and before you know it, you will be getting a first in the facts about HIV. The NAT want to stress the importance of the pandemic of AIDS throughout the year so if you missed out on the special day this year, don’t worry, there are still plenty of ways to get involved. The NAT urges you to Act Aware so as to educate the world about HIV. The campaign ACT AWARE offers many opportunities to get involved and support the cause, from accessorising your favourite outfit with that red ribbon to holding talks at university and in the local community about the disease. Getting involved will not only show you support a fantastic course but also look great on your CV!

HCX would think you’ll agree that this really is a fantastic cause so if you want to get involved as much as we do, why not start by purchasing yourself a red ribbon. To pick one up for yourself, head down to the nearest HMV store and grab one before they all sell out!

For more information please visit:
http://www.worldaidsday.org/  or  http://www.nat.org.uk/

Photo credits: www.owleyesmagazine.com www.ibtimes.com www.blog.lass.org.uk