Woman of the Week: Josephine Baker

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Exeter chapter.

Josephine Baker is probably the coolest, most interesting woman you’ve very likely never heard of. Born in Missouri, Josephine was the Beyoncé of the Jazz age and took Europe and America by storm throughout the 1920’s with her unforgettable singing and dancing. Her eccentric, quirky personal life dominated the contemporary media, but what makes her our woman of the week is how effortlessly she balanced Hollywood glamour with impressive military service and racial activism.

Fame in Hollywood Josephine Baker was an extremely talented dancer, and the personality and humour she brought to every performance landed her immediate Broadway success. In 1925, Baker traveled to Paris to perform in La Revue Nègre at the Théâtre des Champs-Elysées where she was an instant hit, finding fame through her daring outfits; including wearing little more than a skirt made of 16 bananas. Quickly becoming one of the highest paid performers in Europe, Baker was an icon of the Jazz age and received over 1,000 marriage proposals.

The Resistance This alone would turn any woman into an idol, yet Baker’s ventures did not end with worldwide acclaim. Baker’s fame was the perfect disguise for her war efforts as a spy for the French resistance. While touring Europe, custom officials never thought to scrutinize her luggage too closely, and this meant that Baker could smuggle messages in her sheet music and underwear. Her courage and hard work earned her the Croix de Guerre and the Legion of Honour with the rosette of the Resistance, two of France’s highest military honors.

The Rainbow Tribe If this isn’t enough, Baker’s private life was equally admirable. With the aim of setting an example for the rest of the world to follow, Josephine adopted 12 children from across the globe and heart-warming referred to them her as her ‘rainbow tribe’. In light of her childhood discrimination in the state of Missouri, this act of kindness was particularly poignant in promoting values of peace, community and acceptance.

Fighting Racism During the 1950s, Baker made her return to the United States and moved to the forefront of the Civil Rights Movement, participating in demonstrations and boycotting segregated clubs and concert venues. In 1963, Baker participated, alongside Martin Luther King Jr., in the March on Washington, and was among the many notable speakers that day. In honor of her efforts, the NAACP eventually named May 20th “Josephine Baker Day.”

Having led such an interesting, exciting life, it’s a wonder that the name ‘Josephine Baker’ is not more well known. Oozing style and elegance, while also demonstrating courage, steely determination and a strong sense of morality; Baker is the epitome of a powerful, inspirational woman.

Second year History and International Relations student.