element5 digital MEzqoN8p6C0 unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
element5 digital MEzqoN8p6C0 unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

Why It’s Great To Be Single At Exeter

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Exeter chapter.
On a recent walk to campus with a male friend, we spotted a girl we knew, and, turning to me, he came out with, “I don’t know how she’s single.” Without going too Destiny’s Child on him,  I explained how being single, believe it or not, can actually be a choice for us females, and that we sometimes like other things apart from boys. In fact, there are so many great things about being a single lady at Exeter, so if you are upset at the prospect of being forever alone, or have decided to say goodbye to a romance now that summer’s over, don’t sob into your Domino’s just yet -we’ve come up with a few reasons why it’s worth being single at Exeter. 

There is so much eyecandy
All you have to do is walk through The Forum to witness the top notch talent that Exeter has to offer. Not only are there boys everywhere, but there are hot guys everywhere. An entire afternoon can be spent boy-watching from the top level seating area, and the library is swarming with every type of male you could imagine. As well as this, you also get the pleasure of the dating game – there are so many weirdos to meet who will give you amazing bad date stories that you can entertain your friends with. 

You don’t have to feel guilty about fancying the hot guy from your seminar
There’s nothing worse than having to stare across the classroom at the hot guy from your seminar with the knowledge that you can never have him. If you are single, however, you have free reign to pursue anyone you fancy – guilt-free. What’s more, if you do spot someone you’d like to pin down, luckily Exeter is so small that you are almost definitely going to see them again. If you were at a ‘big city’ uni such as those in London or Manchester, chances are you might not ever clock ‘seminar guy’ on a night out, but the fact that Exeter only has about five clubs means that it’s easier to hunt him down. Although, it’s probably best to do this at the end of your module incase things get awkward between you and you find yourself avoiding seminars completely. 

[pagebreak]

You get to see so much more of your friends
Let’s be honest, boyfriends take up a lot of time. No matter how hard you try to put your ‘hoes before your bros’, being in a relationship means there will be times when you miss out on doing things with the girls and become the annoying friend with a boyfriend. When you’re single, you can shamelessly spend the entire weekend being a slob with your housemates – eating your body weight in pizza, getting too merry and trying to convince each other that you didn’t ruin your life the night before. Having a boyfriend would mean having to look half presentable, and everybody knows that washing and drying your hair is effort. 

You might start getting better grades
Although in freshers’ week it’s easy to forget, university is not just one big holiday, and we do actually have a degree to complete. Juggling your studies alongside a relationship can become a struggle, especially during hand-ins and exam periods. Being single means you have so much more time to throw into getting a mark that you’re happy with, and instead of squeezing in a skype session or Firehouse date after an intense stint in the library, you can actually grab some sleep without having to share a bed.

So before you think about getting serious with someone at uni, just make sure that you’re ready to give up the treasurable life of a singleton. And if you feel like everyone around you is smug and in love, just remember that they can’t starfish in their beds at night. 

Picture credits: weheartit.com
Siobhan is a third year English Literature student and Sex and Relationships Co-Editor for HCX. When she isn't frantically looking up plot summaries on Spark Notes the night before a seminar, she enjoys unwinding with a bottle of wine (or two) outside Timepiece. Though she hasn't yet mastered the art of cooking, she is an avid fan of eating. She also enjoys discussing the joys and woes of the opposite sex and can't wait to do more of this as part of the Sex and Relationships team this year.