This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Exeter chapter.

So we know we’ve got a couple of weeks to go until the day of romance, love, Me to You bears and candlelit dinners is upon us, but we thought we’d celebrate the 1st February with our favourite past time: baking.  In preparation for V Day when we all plan to shower our housemates with cupcakes and heart shaped confetti, what better way to decorate today’s cupcakes than in the style of Valentine’s Day! Here’s how…

For 6 cupcakes you’ll need:-

6 tbsp butter, softened, or soft margarine

85g/3oz caster sugar

½ tsp vanilla essence

2 eggs, lightly beaten

70g/2 ½ oz plain flour

1 tbsp cocoa powder

1 tsp baking powder

For the marzipan hearts:-

35g/1 ¼ oz marzipan

Red food colouring

Icing sugar, for dusting

Topping

4 tbsp butter, softened

115g/4oz icing sugar

25g/1oz plain chocolate, melted

Method:-

1. To make the hearts, knead the marzipan until pliable, then add a few drops of red colouring and knead until evenly coloured red. Roll out the marzipan to a thickness of 5mm/ ¼ inch on a work surface dusted with icing sugar. Using a small heart shaped cutter, or a paper template if you haven’t got any cutters, cut out 6 hearts. Place on a tray lined with waxed paper and dusted with icing sugar. Set aside for 3-4 hours.

2. Put 6 paper muffin cases in a muffin pan

3. Put the butter, sugar and vanilla essence in a bowl and beat together until light and fluffy. Gradually add the eggs, beating well after each addition. Sift in the flour, cocoa and baking powder and, using a large metal spoon, fold into the mixture. Spoon the mixture into the paper cases.

4. Bake the cupcakes in a preheated over, 180®/350®F/Gas Mark 4, for 20-25 minutes or until well risen and firm to the touch. Transfer to a wire rack to cool

5. To make the topping, put the butter in a large bowl and beat until fluffy. Sift in the icing sugar and beat together until smooth. Add the melted chocolate and beat together until well mixed. When the cakes are cold, spread a little topping on top of each cake and decorate with a marzipan heart!

6. Devour and enjoy!

Georgia is in her third year at Exeter studying English and French Law. Last year she headed the Culture team as Local Culture editor, informing all of our lovely readers about the best events and places to explore in this beautiful city. She may have taken off her cultural clogs, but she is still heavily involved in Her Campus Exeter, leading the team as joint President with Florence Christie this year.When she isn’t slaving away at French law, or updating her Tumblr of pretty pictures stolen from other more committed bloggers, she can be spotted in the Forum sipping a hazlenut laté, whilst feeling guilty for said indulgence and Instagramming pictures of Costa cups. When day turns to night, Monday Arena is generally a favourite haunt or when she is feeling particularly edgy you may find her by the quayside at Cellar Door embracing her inner Cara Delvigne- thougbts of Costa on her mind! Although she never says no to a night in with her girls, watching chick flicks- preferably involving Ed Westwick.At the end of this year,  Georgia will continue to pursue her career as a lawyer, saying goodbye to rainy Britain and Bonjour to très chic France, where she will be completing the final year of her degree. Continuing to follow her mantra of work hard play hard, I wouldn’t be surprised if in in no time this girl could give Legally Blonde Elle Brooks a run for her money.
Laura is a third year English Literature student at the University of Exeter. Laura has been a member of Her Campus since 2012, when she decided it was time to actually get involved in something CV worthy. Since joining HCX Laura has been heavily involved with the Culture team writing on everything from film reviews to blogging about what to do on your day off. Having never been involved in journalism before Laura has been pleasantly surprised by how much she has enjoyed her time at HCX. This year Laura is lucky enough to be the editor of Local Culture, and is relishing the excuse to explore Exeter in search of article ideas instead of tackling her extensive reading list. When Laura isn't writing for Her Campus, or staring aimlessly at her laptop in the library hoping a first class essay will miraculously appear, she loves to socialise with friends and explore the area surrounding Exeter (especially if it involves a beach).This summer Laura will be interning at OK! Magazine in their online department, as well as gaining work experience in the press office at Arsenal Football Club. Laura will also be relaxing with friends and family and booking as many holidays as possible. After University Laura wants to pursue a career in public relations in the travel and lifestyle industries. She intends to put off becoming an adult for at least another year by embarking on the classic 'gap year' experience and travelling the world- all in the aid of her future career of course...