The Ultimate Halloween Holiday Destination

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Exeter chapter.

When we think about Transylvania, we think of Dracula, spooky forests and Halloween, rather than a desirable holiday destination.

Contrary to my previous knowledge, Transylvania is a) real and b) a region of Romania that boasts unique wildlife, stunning castles and unparalleled scenery. This little known place has a wealth of activities and sights that any travel lover will be unable to resist.

With London Luton flights from as little as £60 return and 5 star hotels from £65 a night, Transylvania is also a very affordable holiday option.

Where to stay

The main city in the region is Sibiu, which boasts a surprising wealth of 4 and 5 star hotels at very reasonable rates. 

The Hilton Sibiu

This beautiful hotel boasts forest views, a spa, gym, swimming pool and three restaurants.  Rooms start at £65 a night- what’s not to love?

Hotel of Ice, Balea Lac

If off the beaten track is more your thing, look no further.  This hotel is 90km from Sibiu in the scenic Carpathian Mountains.  Made entirely out of ice this hotel includes Romania’s ‘coolest’ bar, an ice restaurant and an ice church.  For 90 Euros a night you get an icy double room full of cosy furs and sleeping bags.  Activities include skiing, ice-skating and snowmobiling.

What to do

Sibiu

This truly unique medieval city is a must-see on any Transylvanian adventure.  Europe’s Capital of Culture in 2007, Sibiu is a maze of spectacular churches, museums and squares many of which date back to the 12th century.

Piata Mare

The main square in Sibiu is filled with important historical monuments and UNESCO listed buildings.  Stop for a drink at one of the numerous cafes and restaurants and soak up the atmosphere.

The Box Bar

This fashionable cocktail bar is extremely popular. With drinks starting at £1 it is definitely worth a visit.

Bran Castle

The source of Transylvania’s spooky reputation is Bran Castle – the home of the fictional Count Dracula.

Now open to tourists, this 13th century castle is a truly amazing sight.  There are free tours provided with ticket purchases and an extensive collection of art works. 

The castle goes all out during Halloween with night tours, dancing fairies and a lot of Vodka.  Arguably the spookiest ever location for a Halloween costume party, this is the only place to be on the 31st October.

Photo Credits:

www.bran-castle.com

www.tripadvisor.co.uk

www.travelingbear.ro

www.hotelofice.ro