Top Queer TV Shows You Need to Watch!

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Exeter chapter.

Schitt’s Creek (2015)

Who doesn’t want to be serenaded by Noah Reid’s rendition of Simply the Best? In a whirlwind of emotion and hilarious turmoil, the former bigshots of the Rose family find themselves plunged into normalcy within the quaint town of Schitt’s Creek. What ensues is a tale of love, friendship, and community- the highlight of which being David Rose’s (Dan Levy) romance with Patrick (Noa Reid). A must watch for all, especially those of us with an affliction for wholesome queer representation.

Young Royals (2021)

Nothing is better than an escapist royal fantasy, especially when it’s Prince Wilhelm (Edvin Ryding)! A queer love story about overcoming both sexuality and class barriers, as nothing should get in the way of true love.

Heartstopper (2022)

Oh, the butterflies I get from just thinking of this show! When I first watched Heartstopper, I was grinning from ear-to-ear from just the pure innocence of true love. Rugby-obsessed Nick Nelson (Kit Connor) and queer-icon Charlie Spring (Joe Locke) find an unexpected connection whilst in secondary school. Now, I won’t spoil the show, but what happens next is so heart-warming, it’s surreal. Go and watch it, now!

It’s a Sin (2021)

Oh, my Lord, what a show. A drama series from the iconic mind of Russel T Davies, It’s A Sin is easily one of the most important shows that has been released in the last decade, and is a must watch for everyone, not just us queer folk. Surrounding the AIDS crisis, this show is guaranteed to make anyone with a heart cry. With a star-studded cast (with the likes of Olly Alexander, Neil Patrick Harris and Stephen Fry) and such a compelling message, I would recommend this show to anybody and everybody. Go, watch it- immediately! 

QUEer Eye (2018)

Now, if some inspiration and queer community is what you needed, Queer Eye is here to deliver. The Fab Five deliver all that is needed to feel good within yourself- from style tips to some good self-love. Every single person on that show is a queer icon, and I’m sure you’ll love it just as much as I do! 

Amber Tozer

Exeter '23

20, Queer, Third-Year History undergrad- interested in all things feminist, historical and LGBTQ+!