Top 5 Unique Halloween Make-Up Ideas

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Exeter chapter.

If you’re anything like us here at HCX, you’ll have been thinking about what you’re going to dress up as this Halloween for weeks.

Halloween makeup is so fun to experiment with, so if you fancy mixing it up a little bit this year, we’ve found our favourite YouTube tutorials of spooky make-up ideas to make you seriously stand out in a sea of black cats.

Whether mermaids are scary or not is fairly questionable (Ariel doesn’t exactly scream terror), but we love this simple but effective look! It’s the perfect occasion to dig out the bright eyeshadow palette you probably own but never use, and to be honest, we’re always looking for an excuse to dress up as a magical creature.

If you’re the kind of gal that tends to avoid the gory, zombified costumes in favour of dressing as a cat/bunny/mouse (we’re talking Mean Girls style Halloween costumes!), this look’s for you. It’s glamorous, it’s cool, and it’s a little bit creepy.

This trippy tutorial is one of our favourites as the finished look is so effective, although we imagine it’s not quite as easy as she makes it look! If you manage to recreate this though, play down the rest of your outfit and let your makeup do the talking.

Fortune tellers are oh so mystical and can be seriously creepy, so we love this easy tutorial. Complete this look with a bohemian style outfit (if you don’t own any gap yah trousers, I can guarantee someone you live with will) and you’re good to go.

If you want to be scary, making yourself look like a doll is pretty effective and doesn’t require much different makeup to what’s in your everyday collection. Plus, the best thing about dressing as a doll is that you can just wear your on-trend pinafore! Super simple.

So there you have it girls, pick a look and get creative this Halloween!

I'm Sarah, and I'm the current Fashion and Beauty Editor at Her Campus Exeter. I have dreamed of working for a fashion magazine since I was a little girl, and am now in my third year at Exeter studying English. I'm a self-confessed shopaholic and a lover of brunch, chocolate cake and the seaside.