Top 5 News Stories Of The Week

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Exeter chapter.

Paul Walker Dies in Car Crash

The actor Paul Walker, 40, has died on the 30th November in a car crash near Los Angeles. Most famous for his role as Brian O’Connor in the film series Fast and Furious, Walker was the passenger in a Porsche driven by a friend. After the collision, the car was engulfed in flame and both were pronounced dead at the scene. Walker leaves behind a 15 year old daughter and a legion of mourning friends and fans. His co-star Jessica Alba described Walker as a lovely person – so sweet and grounded”.

Tom Daley Comes Out

British Olympic diver, Tom Daley, 19, has this week announced in a YouTube video that he is in a relationship with another man. Daley revealed that he feels ‘so happy, so safe’ with his partner. The general reaction has been overwhelmingly positive with support coming from both members of the public and important figures in the sporting community. Daley’s partner has been rumoured to be a 39 year old gay rights activist and screenwriter. Although we’re heartbroken that Daley might never be ours, here at HCX we’re proud of Daley’s brave decision to come out and wish him all the best.

Death of Nelson Mandela

On the 5th December, Nelson Mandela passed away at the age of 95. Famous for his anti-apartheid revolutionary activity that saw him imprisoned for 27 years of his life, Mandela refused to buckle under pressure and continued to campaign for equal civil rights for all South African citizens throughout his time in prison. After his release, Mandela took a political position and eventually was elected the President of South Africa, a post he kept until his retirement in 1999. Yet even after this, his charitable activism and quest for the constant improvement of civil rights carried on. Often referred to by his clan name, Madiba, many considered Mandela to be “the father of the nation”, his death marking the loss of one of the world’s greatest men.

18-Year-Old Runs for Parliament

The Labour Party has chosen 18-year-old Ollie Middleton to contest the parliamentary seat in Bath in the coming 2015 general election. Although unlikely to overturn the strong Liberal Democrat seat, currently held by MP Don Foster who has held the seat since 1992, his selection has caused controversy. Many believe the University Student to be lacking in the knowledge and life experience necessary to take on an important representative position in the House of Commons.

University Lecturers Strike

University lecturers and staff staged a second walk-out strike over an ongoing pay row. Lectures and seminars were cancelled and a general sense of disruption was felt all over campus on Tuesday 3rd December. 30 students held stayed overnight in Queen’s building on Streatham campus to show their support for the action. An estimated 6% of staff took part in the strike.

Photo Credits: www.thenewstribe.com, www.telegraph.co.uk, www.washingtonpost.com, www.dailymail.co.uk, www.exeterpressandecho.co.uk, www.ftvlive.com

Alex is currently a Second year English student and is the 2013/14 Deputy Editor for Current Affairs at Her Campus Exeter. Being very passionate about English and in particular journalism, HerCampus is likely to take over Alex's life. But when she isn't writing, blogging or helping the HerCampus Exeter team in whatever way she can, Alex enjoys playing guitar and singing; hopefully well! She is also interested in musical theatre and can often be found humming show tunes absentmindedly. Alex hopes HerCampus will be one of her first steps in a career towards journalism.