Top 5 News Stories Of The Week

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Exeter chapter.

Great British Bake Off Final
Bake off mania has come to an end yet again! After weeks of puddings, pies and pastries, the TV sensation crowned Frances Quinn as its winner. Despite Paul Hollywood labeling her throughout the show as having too much style over substance, she pulled it out of the bag with her incredible Midsummer Night’s Dream wedding cake, bringing together stunning decorations and good taste.

Prince George Christening
The christening of the little prince took place in the Chapel Royal at St James’s Palace. The low key event included a small group of guests and the announcement of the baby’s seven godparents. Prince George’s chubby cheeks and christening gown (a replica of the gown worn by Queen Victoria’s eldest daughter) were a sight to behold but let’s be honest – we all cared more about what Kate would be wearing!

Roma couple trial
The Roma couple that allegedly abducted a little girl called Maria have now been formally charged with the offence. The child was found in a Roma camp last week and was found to have no biological link with the couple she lived with. This has led to a more general debate about the problem of child trafficking in the world, particularly in Greece. It’s said that criminal groups abduct and bring hundreds of young children from Easter European countries into Greece, where they are forced to work or are subject to sex trafficking. The problem appears to be linked to a Greek system relating to child registration and has cast more negative media attention onto the Roma community.

Phone tapping in politics 
Secret Service reports have recently brought to light the fact that Angela Merkel’s phone may have been tapped by the US intelligence agencies for a number of years. The German government is awaiting a full explanation from the US and the whole situation seems to indicate a breaking down of trust between the two leaders as well as the two countries. For now, the US is denying any such allegations. Mrs Merkel’s spokesman has stated that if the allegations are confirmed, she regards the spying as ‘completely unacceptable’. It seems that the US bugging issue will be on the agenda of the EU’s future summit’s and discussions.

Spiders in the South West
Sightings of the false widow spider are rising and people are saying the creepy crawly is spreading. One man was faced with the possibility of losing his leg after he stumbled upon a nest, and a school has been closed this week because of an unexpected outbreak of the spider. Don’t be panicked by the horrendous headlines though – experts say the spiders are not aggressive and no-one has died from being bitten in the UK. One expert stated that although a bite would be uncomfortable, it’s less painful and less dangerous than a wasp sting. Still, if you see one, just squash it. 

Photo Credits: www.telegraph.co.uk, www.bbc.co.uk, www.digitalspy.co.uk, www.dailystar.co.uk, www.brianjones.com

My name is Kitty, and I’m a third year studying Law & French Law! I was brought up in France and love the sun and the food over there! I am a part of Dance Soc and love to dance (often badly but always enthusiastically), relaxing with friends after a hard day in the library and reading novels and poetry. I’m really excited to be part of the Her Campus Current Affairs Team this year and can’t wait to write about lots of interesting and controversial issues!