Top 5 News Stories Of The Week

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Exeter chapter.

Ukraine Parliament Votes To Remove President Yanukovych

After the President fled Kiev for Ukraine’s Russian speaking East, the country’s Parliament voted on Saturday to remove Yanukovych. The vote came shortly after a television interview in which the President, refusing calls for his resignation, stated: “I will remain in the territory of Ukraine… I have no fear.” Renewed chaos in the country came one day after Yanukovych and opposition leaders signed a deal to end the ongoing crisis, initially starting as a movement against the decision to boost the country’s ties with Russia. The crackdown from the government this week has left more than 70 people dead.

WhatsApp Bought by Facebook… then Crashed

On Wednesday it was announced that Facebook would be buying the online messaging service for a whopping £11 billion, a deal which will go through later in the year. Claiming to currently have one million new users per day, with over 70% of these users using the application daily, Mark Zuckerburg described WhatsApp as “incredibly valuable”. However, 4 short days after this announcement, the application crashed, with users (including Olympic diver Tom Daley) going to Twitter to find out what was going on. The company blamed ‘server issues’, and services were restored within 2 hours.

Modern Family star Sarah Hyland Groped by fan in Australia

When posing for a photo with a fan whilst filming on location in Sydney, the actress (who plays Hayley Dunfee on the hit comedy show) had her chest allegedly groped by a 29 year-old man. Following the incident, Hyland tweeted “Sorry to all the fans outside… that I didn’t get to say hi to but I had to leave due to an inappropriate touch of a fan.” The man, who was freed on bail, has been charged with assault with an act of indecency, and is set to appear in a Sydney court on the 14th of March.

London’s Waterloo Bridge Closed After Drive-By Shooting

A gunman on the back of a motorbike shot a man in a black Ford Focus, in an alleged drive-by shooting on Friday evening. Scotland Yard’s Trident gang crime unit is investigating the shooting, which shut down the bridge for 6 hours. Three men have been arrested, and one victim taken to an East London hospital with head injuries. He has since been released.

Tens of Thousands March for Peace in Venezuela

As the death toll rises in anti-government protests in the South American country, massive marches took place in Caracas on Saturday, continuing the nation-wide protests against president Nicolas Maduro into its 10th day. The peaceful protest demanded that the President disarm armed vigilantes, who are accused of targeting civilians and increasing the violence of the uprising. The unrest, which calls for Maduro’s resignation, is followed by weeks of sporadic student- and opposition-led protests. The crisis gained global attention, with several cities across the world holding solidarity protests on Saturday, shared via the Twitter hashtag, #SOSVenezuela

Photo Credits: www.ryanseacrest.com, www.sheffercop.wordpress.com, www.urban75.org, www.mashable.com, www.greenleft.org.uk, www.dailymail.co.uk