freestocks 9rHgOVRdrDM unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
freestocks 9rHgOVRdrDM unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

Is There An Exeter Type?

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Exeter chapter.

Let’s face it girls, when you first arrived at Exeter as a naïve Fresher, the first thing you thought about, other than what a wonderful educational experience it would be, was when you were going to have the chance to check out the talent? However, for some ladies, the lack of range amongst the males that inhabit campus has been disappointing. Finding yourself surrounded by one type of guy clearly has it’s downsides. You know the type: preppy, wearing at least two items of Jack Wills, chinos, and generally having a slightly cocky demeanour to them. However, Her Campus wants to know if this reigns true for every Exeter boy? Are they any exceptions to this rule? Does Exeter really have a ‘type’?

To the untrained eye, it can appear that our wonderful university does in fact have a type. As a university we may not seem terribly diverse, and friendship groups formed in halls or through societies tend to lead us to people who are most similar to ourselves. With this in mind, in a place like Exeter, it is difficult to run into more than one type of person– let alone different types of boys!

Does the Club make the Man?

Never fear girls, you can find a boy of your liking; you just have to search that bit further and possibly out of your comfort zone. Each of Exeter’s clubs (I use this term loosely!) have their own individual type, so use this as your guide to finding that man of your dreams, or tasting something entirely new and delectable!

[pagebreak]

The Lemmy

Let’s start with the classic student union: the Lemmy– an establishment that holds many fond memories for Freshers. So what kind of boy inhabits this venue? Due to the nature of the Lemmy, the boys you find here will undoubtly be fairly boozed and of the Fresher variety. Occasionally the odd second year or third year will appear, trying to eke out that last uni experience and maintain young at heart, but this is a rarity. Boys at the Lemmy tend to travel in crowds so don’t be surprised if you find yourself surrounded by a flock of men! However due to the slight school disco feel, it takes until the end of the night for the boys to have integrated onto the dancefloor, finally plucking up the courage to approach a girl. If you want a relationship that is less secondary school and more sophisticated- stay clear!

[pagebreak]

Arena

Arena  as a whole does not buy into having one type due to its many different nights. On a Monday, it will be the place for the boys who wish to deem themselves slightly more out there, but they are too scared to try out the delights of Cellar Door and Cavern.

Cheesy Tuesday offers a fun night out for all. You will find guys with a larger than life personality. If they can keep a smile on their face whilst dancing like an absolute idiot to classics such as S Club 7 you have a winner on your hands. Having a good sense of humour is a prerequisite, so if you’re looking for a bit of fun, Cheesy Tuesdays is the place to be!

Thursdays attracts an older boy wishing to get away from the Fresher’s. There is all in all a varied kind of boy on offer on, who is relatively inoffensive to all. Think of Thursday night as a pick-a-mix of boys, with plenty of different ‘types’ to choose from.

[pagebreak]

Timepiece

This club is full of boys celebrating their wins or drowning their sorrows. TP is more than likely responsible for the assumption that Exeter has a type. A fact that a girl has to accept when hooking up with a sporting fellow at a Wednesday night social, is that the gossip will more than likely be travelling around the rest of their sports club the next day! A sense of humour helps when at TP, as the likelihood is that you will run into you crush week in week out, so keep your banter at top notch!

However it’s not all bad, generally the fittest boys reside in TP, so if you’re looking for six packs this is the way forward.

[pagebreak]

Roccocos

A Fresher’s paradise, with a dance floor so packed you struggle to get on and off it, it’s an easy place to pull. The occasional sharking second year boy lives in Roccocos but most are above such behaviour. Again like the Lemmy expect a fun crowd that is fairly varied in its type of boy. The themes will show you which boys make the effort and aren’t afraid of a good time.

[pagebreak]

Cavern

This is one for the more angsty males of Exeter. Expect skinny jeans and skinny boys. A more quirky night out then other establishments. You will find the more abstract boys here, ones reject the typical Exeter type. A lot of the boys will be heavily into their music and hold opinions on artists who you will probably never have heard of. Do your homework before visiting!

Cellar Door

One of the newest club scenes in Exeter. Some would say this is the less hardcore version of Cavern, although this opinion is open to debate. If you’re looking for an edgy boy, try their Thick as Theives night.

[pagebreak]

Mosaic

All the rahs reside in Mosaic: public school boy’s paradise. Imagine a sea of Barbour jackets with a Jack Wills uniform beneath them. You are likely to find a mixture of people who wear Hunter Wellies for their real purpose versus those who see them as a fashion staple and have never encountered mud in their life. Thursday Dirty Beats at Mozza’s is, like, the place to be.

Ex4

The lowest of the low. Pole. Enough said.

And coming soon…

With Timepiece recently acquiring what used to be known as ‘Hole in the Wall’, the girls of Exeter will have to wait and see what delights this new club will have in store in terms of talent!

Whilst this may be a very tongue in cheek guide, Her Campus hopes it helps you find the perfect boy you may (or may not) have been looking for. Whether it’s stepping outside your usual group and trying a different night out or accepting the fact that you have a type, the clubs listed above all offer a fun night out, with a range of guys to dance the night away with!

Image Credits:
www.celebrity-pictures.feedio.net, www.stickbranding.com, www.tumblr.com, www.huffingtonpost.co.uk, www.quickmeme.com, www.wordpress.com, www.fanpop.com, www.guestlist.net