This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Exeter chapter.

I do strongly, firmly believe with an iron fist of determination that everyone is capable of achieving hydrated, glowing skin in the dead of winter, and long, luscious locks without Kate Middleton’s stylist. However – I’m not about to preach on some obscure ground-breaking product that can achieve this for you. Cosmetics and pharmaceutical products only go so far, and to be honest, we’re better off avoiding the majority; the chemicals that gleefully dance on our skin and in our hair after using certain popular beauty brands are far from natural, and not what one would deem a step up the beauty enhancement ladder. The best and perhaps most kept beauty secret is in actual fact, food – that is, food of the ‘super’ variety. Incorporating these foods into your diet at three-times the rate you are currently doing will, I guarantee, yield faster, healthier and more natural results than any factory-originated product. Whether you are looking to get that summer glow, encourage hair to grow (thicker and glossier at that), stronger nails, stronger teeth – even thicker eyebrows, if you desire to have a touch of the Cara Delevingne about you. It’s all within reach via a bit of simple diet tweaking.

Superfood Group 1: Leafy Greens

Super Heroes: Spinach and broccoli

If you want to get Lean, go Green (that works rather well, doesn’t it?) – substitute heavy carbs with your protein meals such as potato and pasta with these iron-rich greenies and reduce that bloated feeling. Particularly when warm and steamed, you’d be surprised how filling leafy greens can be. I place particular emphasis on spinach and broccoli, as being some of the darkest in shade, they make up the darkest of the horses in the group; packed with the vital A and C vitamins needed for glowing, clear skin, they also promote hair strength and growth like no other (note: for hair condition and growth, carrots will also swoop in to save the day).

Superfood Group 2: Soy Foods

Super Heroes: Soy beans

Originating from the plant-based crop, soy foods have long been used as a healthier alternative for their full-fat, high-sugar counterparts, especially in regards to dairy products. Studies have shown that a diet rich in soy can lower the risk of breast cancer as well as cholesterol levels. Soy beans in particular are very high in protein, and we are also treated to the double-whammy benefit of their belonging to the bean food group – leading us on to our next lot of heroes…

Superfood Group 3: Pulses/ Legumes

Super Heroes: Kidney Beans

When I use the term ‘pulse’, I am referring to the edible seeds that come from legumes, such as dry beans, seeds and certain types of peas. Extremely high in fibre and low in fat, foods from this group can very easily be tossed into our meals without a second thought and without the usual pain many super-healthy foods demand in their preparation time. They also leave us feeling fuller for longer, decreasing the likelihood of cheeky bouts of snacking throughout the day. Although I’ve highlighted kidney beans, be very cautious when consuming these small but potentially deadly little things; they are best consumed dry as opposed to from the tin, but ensure you soak them for up to 24 hours beforehand to get rid of their toxic compounds (so actually, although well worth it for also topping the list of antioxidants, there is rather a lot of pain in preparing kidney beans. Sorry).

Superfood Group 4: Berries

Super Hero: Blueberries

Many of us embark on a post-pig-out detox by going into fruit-overdrive, but actually, we shouldn’t really be consuming more than three portions of fruit a day, largely due to the high sugar content (albeit natural sugars). However, this won’t stop me from harping on about blueberries for a bit. They are the fruits that hold the most antioxidants, helping to prevent the formation of loopholes for disease in our bodies. Whilst also being low in calories, they are said to help activate our physiological fat-burning tools (including in the abdominal area which is, as females, the object of most of our fat qualms). Aiding our blood sugar levels by keeping them intact, richly potassium-packed and sweet enough to serve as a sugar substitute, berries of the blue variety are key for optimum aesthetic results.

Superfood Group 5: Fish

Super Hero: Salmon

I get really excited about omega-3 (I’m aware that I live a crazy life). These fatty acids, as well as keeping our insulin well and pumping, have been said to reduce depression, lower cholesterol and are a great source of energy to keep us moving throughout the day. It really is vital that we make the effort to consume them, as the body does not produce the main components of such essential, benefit-ridden fatty acids itself. I point to oily fish – salmon in particular – as these are the foods where omega-3 content flourishes at its highest, together with salmon aiding the cause for that dewy complexion.

Honourable Mention: Bananas

Although high in sugar, the banana is super-heroic in many ways. Loaded with iron, calcium and soluble fibre (meaning it will pass through our bodies nicely rather than take up long-term residence in the bloodstream like many carbs pride on doing so), our little, yellow friend is key to our beauty. As well as helping to stabilise blood glucose levels after meals and helping with those post-meal cravings, its richness in potassium can rid of excess fluids that go on to help rid of those pesky eye bags after late-night study sessions. Bananas can also serve as a marvellous sugar substitute in cakes, being naturally sweet. True, true superheroes.

A word on minerals…

I can’t talk about super foods without mentioning the ‘super-ness’ of fluids. Water, water, water. Please drink it. There is perhaps no easier way to increase our metabolic rate – therefore, no easier way to speed up weight loss. Regular swigs throughout the day will do wonders. However, ensuring sufficient water intake does not necessarily have to come from a tap or bottle; diets rich in fruits and vegetables will supply roughly 3-4 cups of water per day, so if you undertake such a diet, you’re already sorted for a large part of the recommended intake (some are now advocating 4 litres, but I still stand by around 2 and a half for us delicate females). Hydration is also key to our skin, of course, and it’s also worth saying that the body can last for quite a substantial period without food – but water? Only days of deprivation will land us in the danger zone.

Body confidence comes from body know-how – have the smarts to know what your body needs. Incorporating these superfood groups into your diet will shine through not only aesthetically (but yes, that too), but in general well-being. A healthy body is, of course, a healthy mind. The superfood diet is a natural one, and if we think of food as medicine for our bodies, everybody knows the best kind of medicine is the natural kind.

Photo Credits: www.dailyperricone.com, www.healthwheeze.com, www.bbc.co.uk, www.myessentia.com, www.diaperstodishes.com, www.fitnessandhealthadvisor.com, www.pinterest.com