Summer Make-Up: All Things Bright and Beautiful

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Exeter chapter.

The sun has finally decided to make an appearance, and that only means one thing… Summer is almost here! After having mastered the staple dark smokey eye look during the colder months, it’s finally time to brighten things up for the new season! Summer brings with it some of our favourite things; letting go of that exam and deadline stress, going to the beach and getting that much anticipated tan. And for us make up enthusiasts, it also means that we can complement that sun kissed glow with a pop of colour in our make up. From pastels, to bright corals and hot pinks, HCX brings you the hottest trends for the summer season. 

BB Creams:

The harsh winter weather has left our skin dry, red and crying out for an instant pick me up. Summer is the ideal time to switch up foundation and try something new on our skin. BB creams are hot on the scene and are perfect to try out this summer. This nifty little product comes with many different functions. It serves as a moisturiser, a colour corrector to cancel out redness and under eye circles, contains the all-important SPF to protect you from the sun and also gives the necessary coverage for a day out in the sun. One added bonus is that BB creams are so light that it won’t feel like you’re wearing any make up and it won’t be melting off your face in the heat! If you have an oily skin tone and struggle more with oil control in the warmer months, add a translucent powder on top of your BB cream for a matte look.

Blusher Pop:

Blusher is a very easy way of incorporating a pop of colour into any make up look.  Cream blushers will add to that natural dewy look and will also last longer in warmer weather. Corals such as Revlon PhotoReady Cream Blush in Coral Reef and brighter pinks like Well Dressed from MAC are on trend this season. If you’re used to playing it safe and find these brighter colours a little daunting, a cream blush can be easily blended on application so you can tone it down but still get that slight touch of colour onto your cheeks.

Pastel Shadow:

After a long winter, I’m sure we are all fed up with the plain brown and black eye shadows and keen to experiment with a little colour. A neutral look with a slight touch of colour is easily attainable by following these simple steps:  use a neutral eye shadow base (HCX recommends Let’s Skate paintpot by MAC) all over the lid and follow with a taupe colour in the crease (the space just below your brow bone) to add dimension. Use any fluffy brush to blend the colours well to avoid any harsh lines. Finally, following the pastel trend, apply a touch of any pastel colour of your choice (such as mint green, lavender or dusty rose) to the inner corner of your eye near your tear duct. 

Bright Lips:

Finally, try a bright lipstick to lift your face and draw attention to those kissable lips. On one of those lazy days, wearing lipstick alone could make your complexion appear brighter and healthier. The lip butters by Revlon are repeatedly raved about in the beauty scene as they are a super affordable and easy way to add colour to your make up routine. They come in beautiful colours and are extremely moisturising for hot summer days out! If you’re looking for a product that is going to have great colour and stay on all day long, look no further than the L’Oreal Paris GlamShine Stain Splash. These are produced by the same manufacturer that makes YSL make up; so these are the high street affordable duplicates of the YSL Rouge Pur Couture Glossy Stain lip stain which will look incredible whether you’re headed for a relaxing bike ride along the seafront, or going for cocktails with the girls! 

www.pinterest.com