andrew neel z55CR d0ayg unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
andrew neel z55CR d0ayg unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

Study Abroad: Mid Term Blues In Spain

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Exeter chapter.

When you are away from home it is common to feel a bit down in the dumps at times. I thought I could avoid this feeling completely until it hit me like a big London bus…

Never knew I could feel emotional from looking at a bus. Why am I so patriotic all of a sudden?

Before I left for Spain everyone asked me if I would miss home. I rather complacently put down this idea; the notion of homesickness seemed stupid. I’d be living the dream in Spain silly, why would I miss home? How wrong I was…

Settling in to somewhere new, be it university, a new job or a new culture is always daunting. Yet with previous experience living in Spain, I thought I’d avoid any weeping phone calls to my mother this time. The fact is, it is completely normal, and everyone experiences it at one time or another.

Living away from family is always difficult, but from being at Exeter I am used to not seeing them very often. What I find more unsettling is being away from friends I see on a daily basis. Housemates dancing around the kitchen baking another birthday cake for one of our friends; lunches at the long lounge (sorry ‘kitchen cafe’) avoiding deadlines; goofing around in the forum and generally seeing friendly faces around campus are thoughts that make me all soppy.

Nowadays we are privileged to have unlimited ways of contacting one another. Skype, Facetime and Whatsapp have become my new lifelines to keep in touch with life at home, but sometimes it just isn’t enough. Snapchat is a great way to keep in touch with the daily antics at uni and telling friends what you have been up to. Yet, receiving snaps from friends queuing up for another night at TP and the determination every week to get to top top makes me miss the Exeter even more.

[pagebreak]

How to beat the blues:

• There is no point wallowing. As I sit here now I know I need to go out and remember that this is a once in a lifetime opportunity.

• Keep busy. Tiresome as it might be constantly listening and speaking Spanish, it’s what I am here for and sitting in my room watching Downtown Abbey won’t make me feel any better.

• The holidays aren’t far. I will soon be packing up for Christmas where I will have plenty of time to catch up with family and friends, eat my body weight in Cadburys whilst watching the entire series of Made in Chelsea and walk the dog.

• Remember everyone is in the same position. I forget that my fellow Assistants are also away from home, many thousands of miles away whilst I complain about being a short two hour flight away from the comforts of home.

• Get outside. Yes the winter is upon us but sitting inside won’t help. Going for a run around town not only is a good source of endorphins but it also can help you get to know your new surroundings.

• Avoid FOMO. Stop looking at all the fun friends are having back home, hopefully they are missing you too, but life goes on.

Take Mrs Patmore’s advice and avoid Facebook stalking all your friends at home

I will be back one day. I must remember I have a whole year ahead of me in Exeter to go to Ottery St Marys, that trip to Dartmoor we kept postponing or most probably, endless days spent in the library procrastinating with friends. Costa anyone?

So with that in mind, I’m going to turn off the depressing music that is drowning my ears and start enjoying myself again.

Remember to smile! It isn’t that bad.

Image credits: heartwhispersoftly.blogspot.com, pininterst.com