Study Abroad: First Week In A Spanish School

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Exeter chapter.

The first week at any new job can be hard, but imagine trying to adjust to working abroad. I have just finished my first week as a Language Assistant here in Vigo, and what a week it has been.

I began writing this article after a long needed siesta. Yes, life of an ELA is hard. Yet, the last few days have been stressful organising timetables and filling out the necessary forms I need to complete. Fret not; I have had time to have some fun. Yesterday I turned 22, (queue Taylor Swift) and let’s just say I celebrated my fading youth in true Spanish style!

On Tuesday morning I made a short fifteen minute bus ride to my placement at a local school. Nervous doesn’t start to describe how I felt as I clutched my umbrella at the bus stop (note: it’s always raining in Galicia). Not wanting to be late, I ended up arriving at school an hour early. I thought I’d try to make an effort talking to my new colleagues in the staff room but unfortunately the other teachers weren’t so bothered and I ended up sitting there for a rather awkward hour.

However, when the first class began, I felt more at ease. I had presumed the kids at my school would be disobedient and wouldn’t want to work, but I was happily surprised. Being the new Assistant meant I had a lot of questions about myself to answer; they were very curious. It was a lot of: “How old are you?” “Do you espeak Espanish?” and “Do you like Espanish food?” For the boys, the most important question on their minds; did I support Real Madrid or Barcelona? Duh, Visca el Barça always!

What I didn’t realise before arriving in Spain, is that my school is not just for secondary school children but in fact mostly adult vocational courses to help prepare students for work. At first I felt strange teaching students who were older than me, but they don’t seem to mind. They’ve even invited me to their class Whatsapp group, and told me today they wish to take me out with them one night. Success, some Spanish friends!

My second day started badly. My bus arrived late and when I eventually arrived at school, I forgot where my classroom was. It’s fair to say I look foreign enough, without aimlessly looking in every classroom for my boss. I’m still adjusting to the relaxed attitude; students asleep on their desks and couples making out in the corridors just wouldn’t go down well at my old school.

Now for the weekend, time to relax, discover more of Vigo and a lot of fiesta. I’m hoping with the last of the Spanish summer to take a trip to Las islas Cies, nicknamed the Galician Caribbean due to their white sandy beaches.

Photo credits: http://static.guim.co.uk, http://media4.fcbarcelona.com,…