Study Abroad: Fashion Trends in Spain

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Exeter chapter.

Now that I’m settled into Spanish life and my first pay cheque is on its way (I hope), I thought it was about time to discover another side of Vigo; the shops!

In such a large city, I knew that I would be spoilt for choice. Taking a stroll down Calle Principe, Vigo’s main street, it’s often hard to resist taking a look at those shoes I walk past on the way to work each morning.  As a girl who likes to shop, I went in search of la moda española and found that there is far more than just Zara and Mango… but it’s always a good place to start.

Zara:

From small beginnings in Galicia, where I am currently living, Zara is the go-to shop. Whether it’s hunting down that jumper that will get you through the cold winter or finding that perfect dress for that party, it always comes out on top.

Massimo Dutti:

The lesser known, little sister of Zara, Massimo Dutti is far from inferior. Think sophisticated chic, classic cuts and great quality clothing. This Italian named brand is actually part of the Inditex group where Zara and co. originate from. But be warned, it comes with a price tag. Right now I am in love with these ankle boots…better start saving.

…Oh and did I mention David Gandy models for them?

Dave in his ones preparing for a heavy night at TP with the boys…

Pull and Bear:

Popular with boys as it has a good range for the guys, Pull and Bear should never be overlooked by girls. Another more casual member of Amancio Ortega’s clothesline family, it is a cheaper alternative to the likes of Massimo Dutti and even Zara. Great for statement necklaces, shirts and tops you can take from day to night.

Blouse you can wear from work -> tapas with friends -> dancefloor… 3 pigeons, 1 stone. Done.

[pagebreak]

Stradivarius:

Once you get over the pungent smell which resembles an Abercrombie store, this cheerful shop is the perfect place to find those items to brighten up your wardrobe. And yes it’s also related to Zara… I sense a theme here.

Oysho:

Possibly one of my favourite places to go on a rainy day, Oysho provides all the cosy loungewear a girl could need. Forget the onesie, why not opt for some cute matching pyjamas instead. Note to self: they also do a great range of swimwear for when summer comes round again. 

Avaliable on asos.com and hopefully coming to the UK soon. Watch this space!

Sfera:

I first found Sfera rather dull and boring, more office wear than anything else. Yet, I failed to notice the whole range of younger clothes they offer. Like Oysho, they too do a great line of beachwear… hurry up summer 2014!

AND THE WORST:

It is clear from this list that the Spanish dress very well. Yet, there exists a dark side to Spanish trends. Desigual. A popular chain which takes inspiration from hippy scarecrows and Twiggy circa 1965, its all kind of wrong. You’d think originating in Barcelona, one of the most cultural places in Europe they’d know a thing or two. Think patchwork jeans and more than colourful prints… it gives me a headache.

At least she looks happy!

Picture credits: www.massimodutti.com, www.malemodelscene.net, www.pullandbear.com, www.glamour.mx, www.oysho.com, thefashionzombies.wordpress.com