This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Exeter chapter.

Researchers are continuously re-evaluating which foods and supplements will turn our bodies into temples of health and nutrition. The perceived power of superfoods is vast, from the antibacterial properties of manuka honey to the apparently anti-aging power of the prickly pear cactus. Among other beneficial properties this wild desert cactus is believed by some to reduce oxidative stress and consequentially the process of aging, whilst also lowering LDL cholesterol levels. However, this week at her campus we’re looking at four classic superfoods slightly closer to home. These chosen four can all be bought in the supermarket, co-op, or added to your online shop.

Almonds

Packed full of vitamin E, whole raw almonds are a great addition to any student cupboard. Not only do the high levels of mono-saturated fat lower levels of LDLs in your cholesterol, but they have an extremely high potassium and magnesium content.  Both are essential for maintaining a healthy heart, lowering risks of atherosclerosis and high blood pressure. A handful of almonds make a great morning or afternoon snack.

Avocado

Avocados contain over 25 vital nutrients, they are a fantastic source of oleic acid, a fatty acid which aids digestion of essential nutrients. The high levels of Vitamin A and E in the fruit are great for hydrating your skin, staving off dry skin and improving your complexion. Whether you’re enjoying pitta and guacamole or adding a few slices to your fajitas, avocado is a delicious and extremely nutritious green superfood!

[pagebreak]

Blueberries

This classic superfood consistently features in health and fitness columns, articles and magazines for an extremely good reason.  Blueberries are high in antioxidants, essential for optimising health and helping to stave off coughs and colds! Packed full of vitamin C and dietary fibre – the benefits of blueberries range from preventing the progression of some cancer cells to promoting healthy vision, due to a compound called anthocyanosides. Recent studies have even found that blueberries can actually help improve memory through healing damaged brain cells.

Kiwi

A fantastic source of dietary fibre and vitamin C, kiwis are a cash friendly food with fantastic nutritional benefits. The vitamin C aids in the maintenance of respiratory health and can help prevent wheezing and coughing.  Kiwis are a rich source of phytonutrients, involved in repairing DNA, whilst the zinc content maintains healthy skin, hair and nails! Interestingly, the whole kiwi (skin included!) is edible and a brilliant antioxidant.

These four superfoods are an easily accessible and delicious way to pack your body full of vital nutrients whilst you’re in Exeter!

Picture credits: www.pinterest.com