Student Dinner Parties

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Exeter chapter.

It’s no secret that we all love the opportunity to showcase our culinary repertoire by hosting the occasional (or weekly… ) dinner party, and being a bankrupt student definitely shouldn’t stop you from doing so. Whether it be a night in with the girls or a catch-up with course-friends, Her Campus has the perfect set of delicious recipes that won’t break the bank but will still impress your guests!

Goats cheese and roasted pepper risotto (excellent for vegetarians!)

Serves 6 – Prep Time 10 mins – Cooking Time 25/30 mins

Ingredients:

2 tbsps of olive oil
1 red/white onion (peeled and chopped)
1 red pepper and 1 green pepper (sliced and de-seeded)
525g arborio rice
1.5 litres hot vegetable stock
130-150g goats cheese (log)
Salt and ground black pepper

Method:

1.     Heat the oil in a pan and add the onion. Cook over a medium heat until soft (usually for about 5 mins). Add the chopped peppers and fry for another 3-4 mins.

2.     Stir in the rice until completely coated in the mixture, and cook for a further 2 mins.

3.     Gradually add the hot vegetable stock bit by bit, stirring with each addition of liquid, and ensuring the stock has been fully absorbed before making the next addition.

4.     Cook for 15-20 minutes, or until the rice is just tender.

5.     Cut the goats cheese into small pices and stir in the risotto, being sure to mix it in well.

6.     And Voila! Season with salt and pepper and serve into bowls.

[pagebreak]

Cacciatore chicken with dauphinoise potatoes (for a slightly pricier evening!)

Serves 6 – Prep Time 10 mins – Cooking Time 40/45 mins

Ingredients:

2 tbsps of olive oil
1 white onion (peeled and chopped)
1 tin of cherry tomatoes
1 tin of chopped tomatoes
200 ml water
6 chicken breasts
2 cloves of garlic
1 tbsp dried mixed herbs
150g mascarpone cheese

For the potatoes:

5 large baking potatoes
3 cloves of garlic
500ml double cream

Method:

1.     Heat the oil in the pan and fry the onions until soft (usually 4/5 mins).

2.     Add the chicken breasts and cook on both sides until coloured all over (usually 3/4 mins).

3.     Add both tins of tomatoes, the mascarpone cheese, mixed herbs and water to the mixture and cook for a few more minutes.

4.     Transfer the contents of the pan into a glass dish, seasoning well, and pop into the oven for 40/45 minutes.

For the potatoes (start preparation before you begin on the chicken dish):

1.     Peel and slice the potatoes into thin slices (roughly 3mm thick) and place them into a bowl.

2.     Chop the ends off the garlic but don’t peel – instead grate the cloves with the skin still on into the bowl with the potatoes.

3.     Add the cream and mix everything together.

4.     Transfer into an oven-proof dish, pressing the potatoes down into layers.

5.     Pop into the oven just as you’re starting the chicken and cook for 1 hour.

[pagebreak]

Chorizo and Bean Chilli (serve with rice or a jacket potato)

Serves 4 – Prep time 5 mins – Cooking time 10 mins

Ingredients: 

1 tin chopped tomatoes
1 tin (drained) of kidney beans
1 tin (drained) of butter beans
150g chorizo sausage, thinly sliced
1 green/red chilli (de-seeded and finely sliced)
1 tbsp dried mixed herbs
OPTIONAL tbsp. of fresh coriander

Method:

1.     Place the chopped tomatoes, beans, chilli, mixed herbs and 100 ml water in a pan and bring to the boil.

2.     Cover and simmer for 10-12 mins.

3.     Add the chorizo and heat through for another 5 mins.

4.     Serve into bowls with rice/jacket potato and enjoy!

[pagebreak]

Easy Fish pie (serve with green beans/spinach)

Serves 4 – Prep time – 5 mins – Cooking time 1 hour

Ingredients:

6 frozen fish fillets
400 g salad tomatoes (diced)
2 large leeks (finely sliced)
2 knobs of butter
4 baking potatoes (peeled and diced)
2 knobs of butter
A handful of grated cheese

Method:

1.     Place 3 of the frozen fish fillets in the bottom of a glass dish. Place a layer of leeks and tomatoes on top. Place the remaining 3 fish fillets on top, and finish with a final layer of leeks and tomatoes.

2.     Add the knobs of butter, cover the dish in foil and pop in the oven for 40/45 mins (half way through the cooking time, remove from the oven and stir the mixture so the fish is in smaller pieces).

3.     Whilst the fish is cooking, boil the potatoes and cook for 15-20 minutes until they’re relatively tender.

4.     Drain the potatoes, add the butter/cheese and mash until it’s lump-free.

5.     When the 40/45 minutes is up, remove the fish from the oven and place the mash potato evenly over the fish mixture until it is fully covered.

6.     Return to the oven (this time, WITHOUT the foil) and cook for 15-20 minutes until the mash  potato is starting to turn golden brown and crispy.

Picture Credits: www.pinterest.com

Helen is a third year English student and a HCX novice. Despite her many contact hours, Helen manages to find time to exercise daily and can usually be found out running or in the gym. As a member of Exeter University Lacrosse Club, she is a keen sportswoman and therefore hugely excited to be joining the Health and Fitness section!