This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Exeter chapter.

Exeter seems like a safe city, but sometimes you just don’t feel safe walking around the city at night or in the day. While that’s not ideal and everyone would love to feel safe walking around their city that’s simply not the case here for many of us. While nothing will make you totally and completely safe in this or any city, there are some things you can do and join to make you feel a bit more in control. 

Getting home safely

If you ever find yourself walking home alone in the dark, or in the day and you’re feeling uncomfortable, there are some things you can do. Firstly, call a friend of a family member. Someone will always pick up, and it makes you less of a target as you are clearly in contact with someone. 

You should avoid walking home down dark paths or unlit roads. Now, this is a little tricky in Exeter, but when possible, do try and walk down roads with lights wherever possible, even if it makes the journey a little longer. These areas also tend to be slightly busier and it is much safer to be in public areas if you’re feeling unsafe.

Student safety scheme

Exeter Uni runs a student safety scheme. This is a great scheme to use once the buses have stopped running, you’re alone, have no money and are in need of help getting home. All you have to do is book an Apple Taxi to Estate Patrol at Northcote House on campus. The taxi will take you to Estate patrol and will wait while you sign a form to confirm you details and cost of the taxi. The university will then charge you £2 plus the fare for the taxi to take you back to your halls. A lifeline for when you really need it.

Pick up a free personal safety alarm and drink spiking test strips

Yes you read that right. They’re free! Simply head up to Exeter Estate Patrol Office, (go through the doors of Northcote Theatre, and turn slightly to the right), Uni accommodation receptions, the Sports Park or RAM bar and ask to pick up your safety devices for free. While these cannot guarantee your safety, they will help you feel better on a night out and it’s always a good idea to carry a personal alarm with you, day and night. 

urban angels

Urban Angels is a free Facebook Group that is designed for women and non-binary people to join. As a group they aim to connect us all together to help one another identify people who are being actively horrible to help us all be more aware. Anyone part of the group is encouraged to share their experiences of being followed, harassed or worse on the group so that we can all be aware and more vigilant of what is going on in our city and to try and protect one another as best we can. The page’s aim is to enhance the safety of the members, and is totally free to join. If you take one thing away from this article, join Urban Angels. They also have an Instagram page with helpful advice on how to stay safe. 

Night bus scheme

There is a night bus that runs in Exeter on a Wednesday, Friday and Saturday night around the city and campus to help students get back safely after a night out. Check out this link for the timetable.

Exeter Nightline

If you ever feel unsafe you should call Nightline. Nightline give free and confidential help between 8pm and 8am during term time. They are run by student trained volunteers and will stay on the phone with you whilst you walk. You can call them on 01392 724000. 

The helpful numbers

If there is an emergency, you should always call 999. If you have a hearing or speech impediment you can use their textphone service 18000 or text 999 if you’ve pre-registered with the emergency SMS service. 

In Exeter you can also call Estate Patrol on 01392 723999, or for emergencies call them on 01392 722222

Ultimately I hope that you never have to use these numbers and are always able to get home safely after a night out, but it is so much better to be prepared and aware of what is going on than left in the dark. The uni have also put this guide together which informs students about how to stay safe if you want to learn more.

Sophie is in her final year at the University of Exeter. She is the President, Editor in Chief, Social Secretary and Campus Correspondent for the Exeter Chapter of Her Campus (2021 - 2023). Sophie would love to work in the media, specifically marketing, when she graduates because of her love for reading and editing... in fact as you read this she is probably wishing that she was lying by a pool with a good book and an iced coffee!