Spring Awakening Hits The Road!

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Exeter chapter.

We may only be in the second term but already 2013/14 has been an amazing academic year for drama at Exeter. Not only has our drama department been named top in the country by The Times, but for the first time in Exeter University history, a student theatre group has been chosen to take part in the National Student Drama Festival (NSDF) tour.  Out of over 100 shows, Shotgun Theatre’s Spring Awakening was chosen to go on tour to Scarborough alongside ten other shows. Her Campus Exeter had a chat with the show’s artistic director, Joel Smith, to find out a bit more about the show.

So Joel, how does Shotgun’s version of Spring Awakening differ from the infamous Broadway version?

Well we decided to give the play a different, darker feel. By making changes to the music and staging, we managed to give a much stronger character focus and explore the darker side of the character relationships. The director, Genevieve, and producer, Tim, did an excellent job in creating an original version of such a well-known piece. Plus, the musical director, Emma, was incredible and really helped give the play a deeper touch.

Do you have a favourite scene or song?

The song ‘Dark I Know Well’ has got to be my favourite because the vocals and choreography are brilliant. I think it really demonstrates the capability of the vocal coach, Cecily, the choreographer, Ben, and of course the cast members involved.

What excites you most about Spring Awakening going to Scarborough?

It’s just such an amazing opportunity for the cast. This is the first time ever that an Exeter theatre company has been accepted onto the NSDF tour, which is such an achievement. When they’re in Scarborough, they’ll get to take part in workshops, discussions and other events. Also they have the chance to get scouted by drama schools – there’s a rumour that Lamda may have scouts there this year…

Sounds like a great opportunity! Is there anything you’re nervous about?

Well we only have a few weeks to get the show back up to scratch but with a cast and crew this strong, I’m confident we can do it.

What do you think the audience’s reaction to the show will be?

Well it’s a pretty controversial piece but it’s also very well known. I think people will be impressed by how much we’ve changed it from the original Broadway production.

Overall, what has it been like to be a part of Spring Awakening?

It’s been incredible. The cast and production team have been fantastic throughout the entire process and I’m extremely proud of them. They’ve made my Shotgun dream come true.

Director – Genevieve Skehan

Producer – Tim Bradbeer

Choreographer – Ben Seward

Vocal coach – Cecily Colahan

Musical director – Emma Brocklehurst

Artistic director – Joel Smith

Photo Credits: www.facebook.com